Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Will there be a BES 5.0 Lite?

I am a recent convert to the BlackBerry world, and have a Bold which I truly cherish.  Unfortunately, I can’t take advantage of my BB as I would like since our small company has an Exchange server but doesn’t have the capability or money ($4K+ additional server) to invest into BES for only a handful of users.  The only thing I can do is use BIS, but then I am forced to sync on a daily basis with my cable to my PC to get my updated contacts, calendar, etc.  Even with that, it doesn’t sync sent mail from the PC to the BB.  If I install Redirector on my PC, I only get my emails sent to me and not my contacts and calendars.  If we install BlackBerry Professional Software (BPS) we lose HTML mail support and we lose some other functionality as well.  We feel that since RIM hasn't made the investment into updating BPS to support HTML, that it probably will not be around for much longer, so then why buy it.  Other company employees who have WinMo devices or iPhones seem to have no issues since they use ActiveSync.  Microsoft licenses ActiveSync, but as far I can tell no one offers that for sale for the BlackBerry, and RIM doesn’t want to talk about it at all.  I have heard discussions of how RIM doesn’t want to support ActiveSync because of its security model, but since they sync to exchange right now via Exchange OWA, why not allow for two-way syncing of the sent mails, calendar entries and contacts which are also available via OWA?  We have looked into AstraSync as a possible solution, but it doesn't support HTML mail, doesn't integrate with the email folders in the BB, and costs $50/year per user.  It appears that I could go through a lot of gyrations with Google sync, but my attempts have yielded duplicate calendar entries and sketchy syncing at best – not a truly reliable system and a kludge at best.    

I know this sounds like a tirade, but I am asking the community to shed some light on what’s a poor professional user to do who works for a small company?    If we install BPS and RIM subsequently comes out with an HTML supported version, will we have to pay again to upgrade to this newer version?  Is there something in the pipeline for a BES 5.0 Lite for users like those in our company?  Is someone working on licensing ActiveSync for sale on BB’s?  Too many questions and not enough answers - please HELP!!!!

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: Will there be a BES 5.0 Lite?

hasanalpan wrote:

I know this sounds like a tirade, but I am asking the community to shed some light on what’s a poor professional user to do who works for a small company?    If we install BPS and RIM subsequently comes out with an HTML supported version, will we have to pay again to upgrade to this newer version?  Is there something in the pipeline for a BES 5.0 Lite for users like those in our company?  Is someone working on licensing ActiveSync for sale on BB’s?  Too many questions and not enough answers - please HELP!!!!

My gut says maybe.  Heck, 5.0 for GroupWise hasn't been released yet ... so we could still see "5.0 lite".  If there is newer version comprable to BPS I'm sure they'll be an upgrade charge.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Developer
My Device: Passport / Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

There is a BES express version available in the older 4.1 software that might be a good option for you:

http://www.blackberry.com/select/professional/express.shtml

Honestly the biggest problem I see with a lite version of BES 5.0 is the system load you take on with BAS, it is by far the biggest resource hog out of the entire 5.0 system.  When you're running a server or virtual machine for just a few people, 2GB of ram to operate properly is a big demand.

Contributor

HaTax - Thanks for the comment about BES Express.  My problem with that is that it doesn't support HTML.  As a matter of fact, the last service pack for it was SP4, which means that RIM hasn't supported/upgraded it in a long time.  It seems that the area that I fall into means that we fall through the gaps of RIM provided solutions.  It really is disappointing when you have a world class phone like the Bold but can't use all of the features unless you invest $4K + new server + administrator to use it!
Highlighted
New Contributor

I certainly feel your pain. I've been on a quest for a solution to this very problem for months and all I've come away with is a broken will. If I could just get BPS with HTML, I'd be quite happy. I don't want to go back to Windows Mobile, and I really don't want to go to an eyephone, but every time I talk to someone about this shortcoming I just get belted with a leather strap and told that the prisoners should stop asking so many questions of the guards.