Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

email mp3: "device encountered an error during download"

When I send an mp3 file by email across BESexpress 5.0 sp3 to a BB9900, I can preview the audio file no problem (entire mp3 plays).

But when I click download the BB shows "Message status: device encountered an error during download".  Where do I look to fix this?  No idea...

New Contributor

Re: email mp3: "device encountered an error during download"

I can still PREVIEW the mp3 fine, but DOWNLOAD AND PLAY gives me an erro.

I upgraded me BESexpress to 5.0.3 MR2 and problem is the same.

1. Could the problem be that I applied KB22953 previously?
2. Could BESexpress have a bug not in the full BES
3. I am running BESexpress on Win 2008 R2. Could that be a factor?

Hoping for help!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Sounds like device issue with saving it if it plays fine.

Do you use encryption on teh device?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

I think you might be onto something.  I checked my security settings and they are below.  Would any of these be the culprit?

Device Memory

Encrypt: Yes

Strength: Strong

Include Contacts: No

Include Media Files: Yes

Media Card

Encrypt: Yes

Mode: Device Password

Include Media Files: No

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

for a test, remove encryption from IT policy for a test account and try it with a fresh or wiped device.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

Wow - that was it!!

I tried disabling all encryption and then turned back on until I found the cause:

Under media card, if I say to encrypt using device password then it fails.  If I used device key then all works!

Just for closure, if I use "DEVICE KEY" and then damage my blacberry and need to replace it, does that mean anything encrypted with DEVICE KEY can never be opened again?  (Sort of like bitlocker in windows)

Guru III
My Device:

ocgltd wrote:

Wow - that was it!!

I tried disabling all encryption and then turned back on until I found the cause:

Under media card, if I say to encrypt using device password then it fails.  If I used device key then all works!

Just for closure, if I use "DEVICE KEY" and then damage my blacberry and need to replace it, does that mean anything encrypted with DEVICE KEY can never be opened again?  (Sort of like bitlocker in windows)

correct only the original device can open them