Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

feature comparison, BPS, BESX

Hi,

My client (10 users on BPS 414, SBS 2K3/Premium/SP2) wants to know what he will gain by going to BESX. Aside from the increased user limit (which he doesn't care about), what features will BESX provide that BPS doesn't?

GaryK

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: feature comparison, BPS, BESX

What is better:

HTML emails

OOF works

more functional calendar support

Public folder access for contacts

Remote email search

Remote file access

BIS or BES plan will work on it.

BES express 5 is FREE

Up to 75 users when installed on exchange server.

Web based management

WEB desktop manager

What you lose:

fancier It polices

Simple manager interface

Money spent on CALs (sell them off, there will be people that want them)

There is no direct inplace upgrade to BES Express.

There might be more but off the top with out my tea yet.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

[ Edited ]

As usual, thanks for taking time to reply.

FWIW, although BESX strikes me as a very attractive option for new installs, I don't see anything there that would encourage me to ditch a working BPS system, particularly since there's no simple upgrade path. Replacing my BPS with BESX involves a substantial amount of inconvenience and work for both my users and for me, an amount of work that the new features just don't warrant.

I might consider doing this if I didn't have to wipe the old server and the wipe and reactivate the phones. The logistics of this are daunting. During the period when the server was being redone, the users would be without email. And as far as the phones, eIther I would have to arrange for my users to be without their phones while they sent them to me, or they'd have to come meet me somewhere, and then they'd be without their phones during the time the phones were being wiped and reactivated. Either scenario requires at  least some inconvenience and loss of productivity and at most travellling and financial hardship for both the users and the organization, not to mention what would happen if the new software failed to correctly a) function on the BBerry or b) install or function on the server. And then there's my time. And then there's the fallout if any of a user's data were somehow lost.

I find it mind-boggling that BBerry hasn't provided an upgrade path that doesn't involve wiping everythng and starting over.

GaryK

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

but there are some upgrade options

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Professional-Software/BES-SBE-BPS-4-x-upgrade-opti...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Everything there requires wiping my SBS 2003 and my users' devices.

GaryK

New Contributor

Removing BPS and installing BESX wasn't a big task.  All your account permissions are already in place.  Now of course, I didn't have many users I needed to re-add so that could make a difference.  But I did not have to wipe my devices.  I just had to delete my Desktop service books, and do a battery pull reboot and I was set to re-activate.  A soft reset may be all you actually need.  No need to wipe the device though.

I'm now happily saving $15 per month back on a person AT&T BB data plan....that's worth all the effort right there!

Contributor

Thanks for that.

GaryK