Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

migrated to BES Express, still hitting 30 user limitation?

Our setup:

Exchange Server 2010  Version: 14.00.0682.001

Windows Server 2008 R2 standard

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express Version 5.0 SP2

Windows Server 2003 R2 x64

We migrated from the paid version of the BES to the Express version about 1 year ago.  Recently we've been expanding to include more users with blackberry activations required.  We've come across a problem in which once we exceed 30 users, activations become problematic or do not work at all unless we remove other users.  We know that this 30 user limit was applicable to our original BES (paid) setup, but the understanding we have of the Express version is that the limit is now 2000 users.  Where do we need to be looking or what commands need to be run to pinpoint where and how this 30 user limitation is still affecting our deployment?

Keep in mind when responding, I am by no means an expert on this stuff so have no fear about dumbing things down.

Thanks

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: migrated to BES Express, still hitting 30 user limitation?

By default, Microsoft® Exchange 2010 uses client throttling policies to track the bandwidth that each Microsoft Exchange user
consumes and enforce bandwidth limits, as necessary. The policies affect the performance of the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server
negatively, so you should turn off client throttling for the Windows® account that has a Microsoft Exchange mailbox.
Please check http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB20608

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Knottyrope,

Thanks for the suggestions.  And apologies for the late follow up.  we had our users dip below 30 for a while and out of sight, out of mind. 

With the initial creation of this account we applied the BES specific throttling policy to the BES service account in order to get up and running.  In most cases I have found online administrators will run into a 20 user limit without the policy and once it is applied, not have a problem anymore.  Our case has been a bit unique in that we are facing the issue at 30 users. 

I followed the instructions in the link, reset the BES account to the default policy, removed the previous BES throttling policy, recreated one, assigned the new one back to the BES account and then rebooted both the exchange and the BES servers.  Still having no luck getting any users past 30 to activate. 

I am getting the exact error that is referenced in the article you posted in our BES server MAGT logs: 

[20400] (03/17 14:56:21.317):{0x1470} {user@domain.com} MAPIMailbox::MAPIMailbox - OpenMsgStore (0x8004011d) failed, MailboxDN=/o=Company/ou=Exchange Administrative Group ()/cn=Recipients/cn=User, ServerDN=/o=****/ou=Exchange Administrative Group ()/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=EMAIL/cn=Microsoft Private MDB
[40720] (03/17 14:56:21.317):{0x1470} MAPI call failed. Error 'The information store could not be opened.', LowLevelError 0, Component 'MAPI 1.0', Context 649
[20154] (03/17 14:56:21.317):{0x1470} User not started

Any other Ideas? In the past if I delete an Active user from the BES, then try to activate the problem user, it will work, which is kind of confirming the 30 connection cap. 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/18759/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_Express_for_Micr...

look at page 21 of the install guide too.

and look to see if you have another policy that might be making the 30 connection limit.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the help

I have checked the other throttling policies on the Exchange environment.  The defualt policy remains unchanged so it has some -RCA and -EWS values, however the BES policy is showing null values for all the specified attributes in the install guide.  Do you mean that some other policy could be overriding this one?

I also confirmed that the MaxSessionsPerUser key in the microsoft.exchange.addressbook.service.exe.config file was changed to a value of 100000.  So no more changes yet.

Guru III
My Device:

949469 NSPI connections to a Windows 2008-based domain controller may cause MAPI client applications to fail with an error code: "MAPI_E_LOGON_FAILED"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;949469

Highlighted
New Contributor

Havent done any troubleshooting directly related to this so far.  I will give this a shot when I can reboot the servers and follow up thereafter.  Thanks again.

New Contributor

Quick question, since this fix appears to be a modification to a domain controller, will this need to be performed on each domain controller in our domain? We curently have about a dozen. 

Guru III
My Device:

Should only need to do it for the server listed in this registry entry

look at this page to see where it is listed in teh registry and apply to that DC/GC

http://support.opt3.com/KB/a47/installing-bes-express-on-sbs-may-not-create-correct.aspx

My Device: Blah
My Carrier: T Mobile

We seem to be hitting this 30 user limit as well.  Were you able to figure out why?

Exchange 2010 SP2

BES Express 5.0.3

No 2008 domain controllers

I've created the BESPolicy that turns off throttling and verified the BesAdmin account has it applied in Exchange.