Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Accessing Contacts within the Secure Work Space

We have set up Secure Work Space and all is working fine, however we have a usabiliy problem with the contacts.

Whilst having everything secure in the encrypted container is good for security, users have the issue that whenever somebody calls or texts them, it doesn't show who it is as their contacts are synchronised in the Secure Work Space, not on the device's own contact list.

We have tried setting the Allow apps in the personal space to access files in the work space policy to see if this resolves the issue, but it doesn't.

Is there any way of allowing the device to access the SWS contacts list so that users can easily make calls and see caller/texter information from their personal side of the phone, without having to manually add every contact into that contact list?

Super Contributor
My Device: Z30

Re: Accessing Contacts within the Secure Work Space

Hi,

What exact version of BES and device OS please?

Don't forget to hit like if I resolved your issue! Smiley Happy
Contributor

Apologies:

BES 10.2.0 (Bundle 47)

Samsung Galaxy S5

HTC Note One

Sony Experia Z2

All using Secure Work Space licenses on the Universal Device Service.

Super Contributor

So all devices using SWS are affected? Have you considered moving up to one of the available MRs? 10.2.3 is the latest. As a rule of thumb, I always avoid running the gold version which is what you're running (10.2.0) and wait for the first MR due to the amount of bugs usually found in first releases Smiley Happy

I also found this issue but it was for BES 10.1.1: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB34922

There might be a similar bug on 10.2

I also had a similar issue a while back for BB10 devices even with the correct policy in place but only a few devices were affected.

I checked with the carrier if the display name option was added on the plan and it wasn't! This was added and within a few mins it resolved the issue. I'm not sure if there is something similar with non-BB devices.

Contributor

Yes 10.2.3 qould be ideal - unfortunately we have limited access to the server for this sort of thing and the down time could be an issue, but it is definitely something we will consider, thanks.

This is our first use of SWS - do you know if this is expected behaviour, or should the device be able to access the SWS contacts for, for example, texting, within the Personal space? Thanks for your input!
Super Contributor

I believe that IT policy allows access to the work contacts yes.

If you look at that KB in my previous post, it states that it should work, so it is expected behaviour. As to what exact data the personal space can access in the SWS I can't say for sure. The only description I've found of this rule is:

"Select this rule to allow personal apps to access data within the Work Space"

Typical BlackBerry documentation lacking in detail but I do believe they are getting better Smiley Happy

Contributor

Absolutely, I have seen nothing further than that single line either...! I have seen that Work Connect for iPhone can sync contacts but as Work Connect is/was an Apple only app I wasn't sure if it worked for Android too.

I have opened a support ticket too, although last time I did this for something they didn't realise SWS could sync email on Android! I will update here if I hear anything.
Super Contributor

I know that Android support is a bit limited compared to iOS on BES10 so maybe there is limited functionality in that aspect of accessing work contacts from the personal space. I believe that there is a lot of change coming in BES12 that will bring BlackBerry into line with it's competitors.

That's embarrassing that support were not aware of the ability to sync email on Android...it's one of the basic functions in SWS!