Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BB Enterprise setup questions for Domino 8.5

Hello,

I'm investigating the BB Enterprise server for Domino 8.5 (64bit). (On a windows 2k3 x64 server)

I'm confused on installation and the installation guides don't answer them (actually they cause the confusion.. and BB doesn't accept product setup calls for free).

--One article I read say 32bit Domino only (64bit windows ok). another say 64bit domino and 64bit windows are ok.??

Which one is correct and what happens if try it on a 64bit domino install?

---LDAP?  Is this required to be on the internet also? We have one already in our private network (domino server)?

---DIIOP?  Wont' this mess up the already running http process we run on the server?

---FQDN.  One document I read alluded to not using the same name as the one in use already on that machine. ???

I would've assume it doesn't matter, it the port thats being poked does... (if 80 is already in use, which it is.. now what?)

--SQL   We have one available already (2000 sp4), so I can have BB use that?

- what kind a data is being sent to the SQL ??

Thanks to all,

Brett F.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BB Enterprise setup questions for Domino 8.5

[ Edited ]

Blackberry Enterprise Server compatability chart.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/server_compatibility.jsp#tab_tab_compatibility

Above doc is the rule, some of the other docs are wrong.

You are putting this on its own server correct?

Install it on a 64 bit OS and get 4 gig ram for it. You will be glad you did in the log run.

---LDAP? Is this required to be on the internet also? We have one already in our private network (domino server)?

You should be fine. internet? uh no.

---DIIOP? Wont' this mess up the already running http process we run on the server? It will, use a dedicated server for BES

---FQDN. One document I read alluded to not using the same name as the one in use already on that machine. ??? I would've assume it doesn't matter, it the port thats being poked does... (if 80 is already in use, which it is.. now what?) What is running with that port?

--SQL We have one available already (2000 sp4), so I can have BB use that? Thats is fine

- what kind a data is being sent to the SQL ?? All of the configuration of BES is DB driven.

Message Edited by knottyrope on 09-17-2009 10:44 AM

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Knottyrope

Thanks for the reply...

So don't install it on the same server as domino ? (again.. one doc says yes.. the other says no...)

We don't really use LDAP for any Windows authentication issue (short of normal windows functions).. just for mail, spam filtering software lookups.  So during setup I don't say , use Active directory, this ldap setting can be ignored then?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Boy that post got jumbled up, sorry.

I am not a domino guy but know a lot about BES.

You will need LDAP if install guide requires it.

This link has lots of info for you on the second post.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=bes5&thread.id=1

You will install domino on the BES server.

Do not install BES on the Domino server that has the mail database.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

knottyrope.. even your link to the PDF setup poses install questions...

Install BES to a seperate server... then a few entries down... it shows supported installs ON a domino server....

and by the doc... 64bit domino will not work at all?

Contributor

This link you provided (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/serverinstall.jsp)

even shows BES installing on Domino...

So from your post,, I need to setup a separate Domino (32bit) server, install BES on it, then config BES

to scan mail files on the other (64bit domino) server, or does a another BES process needs to be installed

on the 64bit  domino version?

Guru III
My Device:

I would not install BES on the actual mail server or anything else on a mail server.

BES can be a resource HOG and if runnning the BAS on the BES you will see it.

Even on the 64 bit server OS you install 32 bit Domino on teh BES server.

Contributor

Ok..

Very cool.

So I install BES on another machine with Domino (32bit) on it...

Will there be a problem getting to the mail files on the  64bit domino mail server?

Does it use standard Notes API's to get the mail database changes? or must I install

a service on the 64bit Domino to communicate with the other box?

Idea were are going for is to install everything on one box...

Guru III
My Device:

bflagg wrote:

Ok..

Very cool.

So I install BES on another machine with Domino (32bit) on it...

Will there be a problem getting to the mail files on the  64bit domino mail server?

Does it use standard Notes API's to get the mail database changes? or must I install

a service on the 64bit Domino to communicate with the other box?

Take a look at this to clear it up.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7313/SR_BES_350426_11.jsp

Idea were are going for is to install everything on one box...

Contributor

Thanks Knottyrope...

I had read this already....

Under Item.. it states 32bit domino on a 64bit OS. ( actually this seems unwise of a setup, otherwise a 32bit OS would've be fine)

but no mention of 64bit domino...

see my confusion?