Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES 4.0 to 5 Migration in Mixed Exchange 2003/2010

Hey guys.  BES newbie here.  I'm about to embark on an upgrade and wanted to make sure that my plan is the correct one.  Any advice is most appreciated.  Here's what I'm thinking:

• Service pack 4.0 to 4.0.7 - this should be cake
  • Order a migration kit
  • Stand up a new VM with a fresh install of BES 5.0.2 with a new remote database on SQL 2005
  • Create a new domain account (besadmin) for use by BES 5 and not use the existing account
  • Assign all the necessary permissions needed in AD and Exchange to the new account
  • Attach the new besadmin's mailbox to Exchange 2010

So at this point, I'll have a 4.0.7 BES box and the admin account will have a mailbox on Exchange 2003.  I will also have a BES 5 box with a seperate admin account with it's mailbox on Exchange 2010. From here I can start to migrate the users using transporter.  Once they are all moved, I can decommission the old server.

Sorry for being long winded.  I'm just very new to BES administration and figured you guys might have some input.  Thanks in advance.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES 4.0 to 5 Migration in Mixed Exchange 2003/2010

most looks good, here is some more things to look for.

By default, Microsoft® Exchange 2010 uses client throttling policies to track the bandwidth that each Microsoft Exchange user
consumes and enforce bandwidth limits, as necessary. The policies affect the performance of the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server
negatively, so you should turn off client throttling for the Windows® account that has a Microsoft Exchange mailbox.
Please check http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB20608

Unable to log on to BAS when running a mixed domain environment
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB18186

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions.  My fear is that users with mailboxes on 2010 will be ok, but users on 2003 may have issues.  I have nothing to base this on, lol, other than maybe not knowing the product well enough.  Hopefully things go smoothly.  If not, you'll be hearing from me soon Smiley Happy

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you should be fine

come back and let us know how you progress

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry BOLD 9700
My Carrier: ATT

Create the 2010 service account using the EMC. Follow the previous instructions provided to set the rights/throttling correctly.

If you have installed exchange 2010 SP1 you do not need to make the config change to the address book lookups as it is now part of the throtting policy (the RCA portions)

Depending on your environment, if you want the 2003 users to work on BES 5 you will need to apply the rights as you did in the 4.x environment to the new service account.

New Contributor

So what's the deal with EWS and the calendar.  The install guide has completely different info than KB20157.  Which do I follow?  Do I even need to enable this feature if I'm coming from 4.0.7?  Can't I just let CDO handle it?

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

You don't say why you are moving to a new VM, so if you have no need to move the server to new hardware (VM) I would just do an the in place upgrade (steps 1, 2, 3 from method 2 below) and leave the BlackBerry server on the existing Windows server. Then follow KB22601 - How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010  This KB covers the changes that need to be made to the service account as well

If you do need to move the BlackBerry server to a new Windows OS, then you may also want to consider a method that does not use the Enterprise Transporter. The reason is that the Enterprise Transport does not move any of the server settings as part of this, things like any custom IT Policies, groups, server CALs.  A full list of what doesn't move can be found in the transporter documentation. There are also some issues that can arise on devices with some of the older codelines.

You should do this as 2 seperate tasks, migrating the BlackBerry server first, then migrating the user's to Exchange 2010. The reason is that BlackBerry server 5.0 will work with both Exhange 2003 and 2010.

There are actually 2 methods that can do this.

Method 1:

This is the 2 SRP migration method.  This is covered in KB12304

How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to new hardware using a second SRP

A quick outline of this would be,

1. Order migration kit.

2. Upgrade the 4.0 server to 4.1.7 - This can be done in a single step using the 4.1.7 full installer from either the BESC or FTP.

3. If required, upgrade/move the database to a new 2005 instance. This is covered in KB03112 - How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server instance this is best done when the server is at 4.1.7 since it has the change DB function.

4. Install the new 5.0.2 server and point it to the same database as the 4.1.7 server.

a. This will have both server in the same database and allow the users to move between them and keep all the server settings. Having both a 4.1 server and a 5.0 server in the same database is fully supported.

b. Install the new server using the same service account, there is no need to create a new service account. You'll only need to add the required local permissions to the new servers (local admin, logon as a service, etc)

c. Install the latest MAPI 1.2.1 version on the new server from Microsoft for the new server. It will work with both the 2003 and 2010 Exchange servers.

5. Login to the BAS console on the new server, from here you'll see all your users and both servers. You can now move a few users over to the new server as a test and make sure they work.  Once it all looks good you can move the rest over.

6. Once you know everything is good, you can uninstall the older 4.1 server to remove it.

At this point you'll have the new 5.0 server installed and running and all the user's on the 2003 Exchange server.

Migrating the user's to the Exchange 2010 server is a straight forward well documented process, follow KB22601 - How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010  This KB covers the changes that need to be made to the service account as well.

Method 2:

This would be an in place upgrade of the 4.0 to 5.0 and then an HA cutover to the new hardware.

1. Upgrade the 4.0 to either 4.0.7 or 4.1.7

2. Move/Upgrade the database instance to 2005 if required.

3. Upgrade the server in place to 5.0.2

4. Confirm everything is working

5. Follow KB22499 - How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 to new hardware using the high availability feature.

The big advantages to this are that you do not need a migration kit, so no need to wait and if you wanted to leave the old server in place you now have an HA pair setup and ready to go.

Then follow KB22601 - How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010  This KB covers the changes that need to be made to the service account as well.

Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: VF DE

Hello,

I have a question to Method 1: Using the Migration Kit.

I want to move our BlackBerry 5.03 MR5 environment to new hardware.

Is it correct that I should set up the new BES pointing to the existing database with a trail SRP?

Is it necessary to move the SRP-identifiers from the old server to the new server before shutting down the old server? Or does this happens automatically? There is no information about this in KB12304.

Please help me!

Thank you

Regards

Daniel

Guru III
My Device:

the new SRP becomes permanant and your old one expires after a period of time. 30-60 or 90 days i dont remember how long off hand

with a remote database, you can add the new BES to it or even do a HA failover to new server.