Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

BES 5.0.2 MR5 (Exchange)

[ Edited ]

We've just begun our Exchange 2007 to 2010 migration and are already seeing messaging delay performance issues for those who've moved.

Included in MR5 for BES 5.0.2 (Exchange), is a new trait called ExchangeEnablePropertyPromotion.

I know this is suppose to address BES/Exchange 2010 performance issues, but does anyone have a source that explains the options in layman's terms? There are three options and I don't know which I need to apply:

0 - disabled
1 - The BlackBerry Messaging Agent promotes MAPI properties on all folder reloads, if required.
2 - The BlackBerry Messaging Agent promotes MAPI properties on all folder reloads, if required, except for the first folder reload. On the first folder reload the BlackBerry Messaging Agent does not promote MAPI properties.

I assume not disabled. Also, the release notes do not indicate what is the default value, if any.

---------------------------------------------------------
BES 5.0.4 MR 11 (Bundle 234)
-Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 (ESXi 5.5)
Exchange 2010 SP3 RU7
-Server 2008 SP1 64-bit Enterprise
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry BOLD 9700
My Carrier: ATT

Re: BES 5.0.2 MR5 (Exchange)

I do not have it in writing but after working the delay issue directly with RIM and Microsoft from the beginning, here's what I have been explained.

It "promotes" and/or "adds" specific bes related entries to each message to allow for the detection and delivery of messages. This is basically due to the fact that exchange 2010 sp1 removed the search folder functionality that the bes used to determine the message by the short entry ID.

With that being said: 0 means that the entries that will help in detection of these new messages will not be updated on the messages, therefore causing more seeks to the disk to look up this information.

1 means that every time the rescan/reload folders occurs it will run the promotion utilility on all of the new messages in every folder

2 is the safety catch for service restarts, so all of this extra overhead is not taking place on the server when the users are reloaded, and then they kick off an intervals later on during the recans.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: BES 5.0.2 MR5 (Exchange)

Thank you for your reply.

I applied MR5 and ran traittool -global -trait ExchangeEnablePropertyPromotion -set 2. So far so good. Those we've moved to Exchange 2010 are now sending and receiving messages instantanously. Woot!

---------------------------------------------------------
BES 5.0.4 MR 11 (Bundle 234)
-Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 (ESXi 5.5)
Exchange 2010 SP3 RU7
-Server 2008 SP1 64-bit Enterprise