Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: RIM Z10
My Carrier: PLUS (Poland)

BES 5.0.2 message to user deley after migrate

Hi. We use inplace database upgrade and move all users from BES 4.1.6 to 5.0.2. Another we move all mailbox from EX 2003 to EX 2010. After that lots of users (aproximatly 1700 all users we have) have problems with verry huge deley messages. Some users (about 200) have faild to start.

Any one have clue what is the problem? Connection with database? Connection with Exchange?

How can we improve message supply to handheld? In Outlook everything is ok. Message arived in place.

Our configuration is:

BES 5.0.2 + all services on one server (primary + standby)

database on cluster on another server

Exchange 2010 on cluster with one hub and 2 mailbox store

All servers is in one VLAN.

This not make mistakes, who does nothing.
Włodzimierz Lenin

BES 5.0.4,BES 10.2
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: BES 5.0.2 message to user deley after migrate

have you checked the mapi32.dll and cdo.dll version on the BES as well as on the Exchange?  Mail delays after upgrading the exchange can often happen because the BES mapi and cdo versions have to match or exceed the versions found on the Exchange.

here are a few articles that may help you out:

KB10285 -recreating mapi profile

KB15779 -Install or Upgrade mapi/cdo

If the cdo and mapi versions are all correct and up to date and this does not help try placing a user on a static mailbox agent and test out messages, see if that solves the issue if so then the BES server is probably overloaded with pending messages and hung threads and a restart of the server may need to be done.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: RIM Z10
My Carrier: PLUS (Poland)

Re: BES 5.0.2 message to user delay after migrate

So We check cdo and mapi32.dll on first time. On BES/Exchange is the same. Maybe you right about pending messages and  hung threads. We restart servers couple times. For some users We use statistic Mailbox Agents and messages flow is very good Smiley Happy I thing the restart server couple times make very big overload of server (scan mailbox, recount pending messages). But We have some users "failed to start" and I think this is corresponding to access to exchange mailboxes for this users.

This not make mistakes, who does nothing.
Włodzimierz Lenin

BES 5.0.4,BES 10.2
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Tweedle,

RIM has information that there is a fix coming from Microsoft for Exchange 2010 that addresses this issue. 

You are correct that a static mail box is a work around. They had me create additional client processors on the BES, but that didn't help.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry BOLD 9700
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

I don't believe the fix from RIM will fix the delay issue. They are hoping the fix/buddy build they have that corrects the memory leak with the rpc client access service will resolve this. (I'm on the inside loop on this as this bug was reported first in my company's name.) In order to get this from Microsoft, RIM needs several counters to prove the memory leak.

They are aprox. 3-5 days out in getting it backported to SP1 and SP1 RU1.

However, we are experiencing the delays as well. We have been tracking this with microsoft outside of this other issue and what we've come to discover is that the notification handler on the cas servers is a queue. This queue "fills" and removes the oldest packet before it is delivered.

If you open a ticket with Microsoft on this, they can confirm by running "extra" on the CAS, configuring the notification handler and then uploading the trace to them. Unfortunately these traces from what I can see cannot be converted to a txt file without them (.etl files.)

In end, unfortunately this is a microsoft issues, not RIM at all as there is nothing RIM can do about Microsoft Exchange not delivering them the proper notifications.

One avenue I was going to look at, is since we are using outlook 2003 (mostly in cached mode but some in online mode) we made a registry change to effect the polling.

Technet article

We are considering changing this back to the default and see if it helps with the flooding. Just a thought. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Update:

Well its not a solution but it worked for us and another law firm..

We added more memory to the MBX servers and voila.. all is better  /shrug

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

were the MBX servers running out of physical memory and using virtual memory?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor

No, according to Microsofts calculators for our environment the MBX servers only needed 12GB of memory. We doubled and went with 24. The way exchange works is it tries to take up to 95% of the maximum memory, and then releases it if and when other applications on the box need it.

The underlying issue is the notification queue size.  Essentially the queues do not hold enough data, and since there is some (very little, but some)  latency talking to the storage for database reads, the queues can never bee processed fast enough.

This work around works, basically because we are loading most of exchange and its dbs into memory, therefore the disk (FC connected in our case) does not get accessed nearly as much.

Hope this helps anyone else out there in this situation.

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9800 torch
My Carrier: att

good info....

is there a doc avail about the static mailbox agents? which one should be used, etc?

when we were on 4.1.6, the BES admin at the time placed users on diff agents etc b/c they were having the issues of delayed msg's, which def cleared up that issue.

however there were diff agents that were used, is there a difference? 200? 203?

thanks.

Trusted Contributor

No difference in the # used. RIMs reccomendation however is not to exceed 8 or so agents combined with dynamic and static.

I cannot stress enough the workaround for this is to put a buttload of memory in your exchange servers...