Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES 5.0 And Application distribution

Forgive me if this has been asked, I have done an exhaustive search attempting to find an answer. I think my ignorance on the terminology is why I can't locate an answer. New Blackberry 5.0 Administrator, I have about 10 years experience in exchange (5.5 to 07) so I'm not new to messaging and collaboration. I have the BES installed and working well (most of my users are happy). There is a feature that we want to use that I haven't been able to figure out. I've read the BES admin guide several times, and I've read numerous posts on other support sites. So how about we get to the problem already... I need to be able to push out java applications to the blackberry's and I just can't seem to figure out how. What I've done and currently have: 1. Setup an application (successfully added it to the repository) 2. Added this application to the Standard required application rule 3. Created a Software configuration with that application included 4. Assigned that application to myself for testing. After assigning it to myself, I get the response on my blackberry that the administrator has made some changes and the device needs to reboot. I reboot the device but can't seem to find the theme anywhere. The job shows successful in the BES. What am I missing? I thought perhaps that you can't push a theme through the BES, but I read somewhere that as long as its a java based app, it can be pushed. So I have to ask, when you push software, does it automatically install it, or does it just download the app to the handheld for you to install later. Also, where does it download it to? I've read something about the MDS colloboration runtime. Is this something I have to have installed? I can already access internal websites, so I'm assuming the runtimes are working. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BES 5.0 And Application distribution

If definitely sounds like we're mixing up some of the jargon. Let's see if we can clear things up a bit.

There are three main ways to get applications wirelessly to the devices. Software configurations from the BES, using the MDS Integration Service or hosting the installation package on an internal server.

These explanations will be overly simplified so feel free to ask questions and I will answer what I can.

Software configurations are not too bad. They basically involve obtaining a package of COD/ALX files (Try Google Maps for example) which can then be added to a software configuration. The software configuration is then applied to a user and the applications are deployed. In all this, you can apply application control policies that set various permissions on the application (what APIs and data it can access) as well as the disposition (determining whether or not the application is required, optional, or disallowed).

Using the MDS Integration Service (or MDS-IS) you can set up a repository of applications where, using the BlackBerry MDS runtime, users can choose to download and install the applications. I personally don't have too much experience on this side of things. Luckily, we have an entire section of the forums dedicated to it.

Lastly, you also have the option of hosting the app (say, on an internal web server) as a JAD file. This file can then be navigated to by the users and downloaded/installed.

Let's clarify how you are trying to push the app, then we can look into what you are pushing.