Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry 8800
Accepted Solution

BES 5.0 Application deployment / updates

Hi, we today upgraded to 5.0 (from 4.1.X) and so far everything has gone very smoothly,

We are a third party sw developer so regularly deploy applications onto test devices.

I have successfully push deployed our application to our test devices (wireless) however, can't seem to "update" the application.

(on the 4.1.X bes, we simply updated the package, reindexed and the updated version was pushed out). 

After creating a new version of the application (with correct version increment), I have uploaded the zip package (Add or update applications).  BAS then tells me that the application exists and that it will install the new version. I publish the new version and when I inspect the application it now says I have multiple versions available.

The first deployed version had a "required" application policy.

On my first attempt to upgrade, I also set the newer version to required - however it failed to install on the device - presumably because the older version existed.

I then removed the older version from the software configuration being used (expecting it to delete the app) but that didn't work either.

My last attempt (with yet another version increment) has set the two older versions to "disallowed" and the new version to "required".

However, I note from the task list that whilst it has scheduled a removal of the older (deployed) version, this is after a scheduled install of the newer version.

I can't but help think I must be missing a trick here - surely updating an application version should be a simple matter of uploading the new version and setting the new version as the 'preferred version'. This should then cause the BES to schedule a removal of 'any' older versions from the devices that qualify for a new version (as defined in the ALX).

Any help appreciated - we are testing prior to a customer deployment (who also have 5.0) and it would be nice to understand how to properly deploy new and updated apps. I have trawled the docs and forums and can't find much on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

Stimmo 

New Developer

Re: BES 5.0 Application deployment / updates

As an update to the above post, my last attempt whereby I made the older versions "disallowed" and the new version required, it seems to have worked.

Is this the correct way to update an application ?

Thanks in advance.

Stimmo 

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

interesting, the only way it worked for us was:

- remove the application from the software configuration

- wait until deployment job "remove app" has been created for the user(s)

- add newer version of application to software configuration

All other combinations lead us to your described effect of "first install the new version, then remove the app". On my 8110 this ends up with seeing the application as an icon, which is usable, but in the application list on the device there's no entry anymore...

but anyway, the behaviour is sick... in comparison to 4.1.x...

New Developer

We have now done quite a number of deployments of updated versions (during testing/qa) and the following process seem to work well.

• Remove the current application from the software configuration.
  • Re-Add the current version as "Disallowed" - this seems to force the devices to uninstall the current version
  • Add the new updated version as "Required".

Its a bit clunky and would be nice if this could be streamlined in future versions of BAS - but we can reliably report it works.

-Stimmo 

Contributor

will try, but at which point do you "save" the software configuration? after every step or only after finishing with "Add the new updated version as required"?
Contributor

I know this thread is quite old, but we are facing the same problem described in here. Our application is not updatable via BES 5, instead it tries to reinstall which fails due to old modules from the previous application installation that on the blackberry device.

Since these modules are "required", as defined in the software configuration, the update fails and the application is removed from the home screen.

The solution described in the above post is generally working fine, but unfortunately this is not an option for us because when our application recognizes a deinstallation process, it deletes all the users mail as well as other settings and data that is required to operate correctly.

The only solution for us is to deploy a second application which overwrites the "deinstall listener" process, so that the mail and storage settings are not removed.

We still hope to find a better solution, any more tipps on why the device / the BES is thinking that the new application version is a new / different application than the installed one?

The app ID, name, vendor and description are all the same, only the version has been incremented of course.

There shouldn't be any reason to not update, or am I missing another important point?

Contributor
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

I know this thread has a little bit of age now, has anyone seen any updates to the process for installing new versions of applications via BES 5.x?  We have a new app that we may be pushing out that may be updated quarterly.  We would like to see a way to make this versioning a little less painful.

Visitor
My Device: 9900 Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

I know this is an old conversation.  But I am trying to find a way to upgrade an application without cause problems.  I need to inform my Black Berry 9900 users on what to expect. Has anyone had any success pushing out an application upgrades using BES 5.0 SP 3 without the issues experienced in the past?