Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

BES 5.0 Wireless Public Folder Sync - Unable to Edit Public Folder Contact on Handheld

[ Edited ]

Running BES 5.0.1.58 and Verizon Tour 9630 Handheld OS v5.0.0.591

Problem:

Handheld is wirelessly syncing personal and public folder contacts.  Unable to edit public folder contacts on handheld.  Can however, edit personal contacts on handheld.  Unable to locate Blackberry documentation to specify how wirelessly sync'd public folder contacts are to managed from handheld.  Not sure if the lack of "edit" is by design, or a configurable feature.  Can someone please explain or provide links?

Notes below to summarize the configuration process to get wireless public folder syncing to work.  It would be nice if Blackberry would provide a single KB / white paper with the entire wireless public folder sync documenatation and provisioning, vs. fragmented support notes all over the place & vague configuration information.  I have highlighted my added notes in orange.

KB13369

Wireless data synchronization of public folders is not supported on BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry Device Software earlier than version 5.0. For public folder synchronization, you must be running BlackBerry Device Software version 5.0 and also be using BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.

KB1911

How to enable public contact folders for synchronization in the BlackBerry Administration Service (BES5.0)

Public folder synchronization can be enabled in the BlackBerry Administration Service using the following steps:

1.Open the BlackBerry Administration Service.
   2.Under Servers and Components menu, expand BlackBerry Solution Topology.
   3.Expand BlackBerry Domain.
   4.Expand Component View.
   5.Select Email.
   6.Click Edit Component.
   7.In the Published public contact folders section, select the public contact folders to synchronize to the BlackBerry smartphone.
   8.Click Save All.

Additional Information

The BlackBerry service account requires Owner permission for any public contact folder configured for wireless synchronization in the BlackBerry Administration Service.  If the folder exists within another folder, the BlackBerry service account requires Owner permissions for the entire directory structure.

The BlackBerry smartphone user requires Read and Visible permissions for any public contact folder to be enabled for synchronization with their account. Alternatively, default can be listed as Reviewer.

To verify the permissions for a Public Folder, complete the following steps:

1. In Microsoft Outlook, locate the public contact folder to be configured for synchronization.
  2. Right-click the folder and select Properties.
  3. Click the Permissions tab
  4. Confirm your Blackberry service account (i.e. besadmin), has owner permissions.  If not add.
  5. Save

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you made public folder permission changes, restart Blackberry services or restart BES server, for changes to take effect. 

Control which published public contact folders a user can synchronize with on a  BlackBerry device

By default, a user can synchronize contacts from all of the published public contact folders on the messaging server with the contact lists on a BlackBerry® device. To help manage network resources, you can select the published public folders that a user can synchronize.

1. In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the BlackBerry solution management menu, expand User.
  2. Click Manage users.
  3. Search for a user account.
  4. In the search results, click the name of the user account.
  5. In the Messaging Configuration section, click Device configuration.
  6. Click Edit User.
  7. On the Email tab, in the Published public contact folders section, select the public contact folders that you want to permit the user to synchronize with the contact lists on the BlackBerry device.
  8. Click Continue to user information edit.
  9. Click Save all.

(HANDHELD - Could not find documentation here)

It appears the default contact view on the handheld, is to combine all personal and public folder contacts.  From Handheld you can view the personal and public folders your are syncing, and view that folder only by going to (from the handheld):

1. Contacts

2. Menu Button, and Choose View Folder

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES 5.0 Wireless Public Folder Sync - Unable to Edit Public Folder Contact on Handheld

You can not edit a Public folder contact yet from device.

it is only a one way sync.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

Re: BES 5.0 Wireless Public Folder Sync - Unable to Edit Public Folder Contact on Handheld

Confirmed.  One way sync only. 

Contributor
My Device: BB Tour 9630

Running into a similar probIem. I just setup a BESE server myself but keep getting an error when adding the Public Folders to a user. User config\E-mail\Published public contact folders. I check the two I want to sync and save but I keep getting this error: The request could not be completed.

Any idea what I could possibly be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Is BESAdmin owner of the root of public folders and teh one you are trying to sync?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor
My Device: BB Tour 9630

When you say Root do you mean the top: "All Public Folders"? i dont' see that Besadmin is in that one only the sub contact folders. Should I add Besadmin to the All Public Folders as well?

Thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

bikermike wrote:

When you say Root do you mean the top: "All Public Folders"? i dont' see that Besadmin is in that one only the sub contact folders. Should I add Besadmin to the All Public Folders as well?

Thanks!

YES and YES.

My Device: Not Specified

You do NOT need to grant the besadmin user owner priviledges to the default all public folders.  Just the top level (first level of public folders that is user created) and any subfolder down to the Public Contact Folder in question.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

if you need a way to edit or add new contacts, this 3rd party product would help. Also provides access to shared public calendars, delegate calendars, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjG1RRaNuTc

Guru III
My Device:

Link is to WickSoft video for those that will not click it.