Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES 5.0 & HA Questions

With the new HA options, can you have your stand-by BES in a different site (same AD forrest/domain)?  Can they be on different subnet?  If so, has anyone tested this setup out?  How does it perform, and how quickly does it failover from one site to another.

I'm looking not only for high availability, but also site resilicency.  Does BES 5.0 offer that?  If we could have a main BES with a standby BES in another site that would essentially kill two birds with one stone for us.  Is it possible? 

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: BES 5.0 & HA Questions

Do you have a mail server in that secondary site also?

Do you have the SQL database mirrored in that secondary site also?

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Retired

Hello Shamrock,

To answer your question, BES standby instance can be setup in a different subnet.

As long as the primary and standby instance have network connectivity (+ a few other criteria's for a successful failover during outage) things should be fine.

I would recommend the following reference material to help consolidate the HA functionality:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/docs/subcategories/?userType=2&category=BlackBerry+Enterprise+S...

-> Planning Guide

For a comprehensive DR Solution, Andy's recommendations are bang on.

Backup of the mail server + db are critical for a flawless failover.

Feel free to ask follow up questions.

Regular Contributor

So really this is for high availability, and not really site resilency?  We do have a DR site with SQL databases and exchange servers.  However what I'm looking for is an all-in-one solution that gives me both HA and site resilicency.  If I could place my standby node in my DR site and have it failover over to that node regardless whether it's a primary BES failure or a site failure it'll always failover to my DR site.  So I'm killing 2 birds with 1 stone.  Similar to an exchange geo-cluster; is what I'm looking for.

I mean as long as exchange is running in my primary site technically I should still be able to place my standby node in my DR site; right?  I mean we have functional DCs and DNS servers running there.

Also when there is a failover, does the BES have to go thru and re-scan all of the exchange mailboxes?

Highlighted
Forums Veteran II

Shamrock wrote:

So really this is for high availability, and not really site resilency?  We do have a DR site with SQL databases and exchange servers.  However what I'm looking for is an all-in-one solution that gives me both HA and site resilicency.  If I could place my standby node in my DR site and have it failover over to that node regardless whether it's a primary BES failure or a site failure it'll always failover to my DR site.  So I'm killing 2 birds with 1 stone.  Similar to an exchange geo-cluster; is what I'm looking for.

I mean as long as exchange is running in my primary site technically I should still be able to place my standby node in my DR site; right?  I mean we have functional DCs and DNS servers running there.

Also when there is a failover, does the BES have to go thru and re-scan all of the exchange mailboxes?

If you want site resiliency you need to have the other components up and running in a high availability configuration also.  Depending on the network latency between the primary and secondary sites a failover should be seamless and users won't even notice the outage (failover in ~30 seconds ... and then yes, mailbox rescans take place).

Given that you want to fail everything over, I would only do BES failovers manually.  If the site goes down everything will fail and you'll want to make sure BES doesn't do it until Exchange and SQL have properly failed over.

Regular Contributor

Forget site resilicency for a bit.  Let's just say I have two sites; one in St Louis and one in Chicago.  If I were to decide to build the primary BES in Chicago, and put the standby in St. Louis.  Would that work? 

Instead of having both the primary and standby in Chicago; I want to split them up.  Now lets say the primary BES in Chicago goes down, but the site itself is fine.  Will BES then successfully failover to the standby in St. Louis? 

I just want to know if that is possible.

Retired

yes it would work.
Forums Veteran II

[ Edited ]

yes it'll work

Whoops ... vector was a step ahead of me.  sorry for the double post.

Message Edited by AndyDufresne on 06-02-2009 02:08 PM

New Contributor

It's also worth considering the implications of latency between the BES and the mail/sql servers when thinking about cross site redundancy. If the BES is switched from Chicago to St Louis what will happen to the Exchange/Domino servers, will they also be switched to ensure acceptable performance to the end user? Also with BES requiring access to the SQL Configuration database how will this be managed with asynch SQL mirroring (typically required for WAN failover) being expensive. Third party solution such as Neverfail (my company) can address these issues.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
I've checked on your product Neverfail for BES, and it's expensive.  With exchange 2010 and DAG, you don't need this product. 
Message Edited by Shamrock on 06-15-2009 09:50 AM