Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA
Accepted Solution

BESMgmt MDF file Too Large

We are running Enterprise Server 5 and have the database on SQL Server 2005 64-bit. The BESMgmt.mdf file is currently sitting at 55Gb in size. I checked with our corporate headquarters and their own database is sitting at 900Mb, so I know that something is wrong if ours is 55x the size of our headquarters.

Originally I had the database in Full Recovery Model, corp BES admin suggested to put it into Simple (which I did). I then performed a Full Backup and shrunk the log files. My  main mdf file is still at 55Gb with over 99.9% of it being used.

I can't seem to figure out why it got so large and how I can shrink it? I'm curious that maybe it has something to do with the stored procedures that purge history and old data, but I can't find much on this on the web and looking through the BES Admin Utility doesn't provide any insight either.

Any thoughts?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BESMgmt MDF file Too Large

maybe the RIM jobs are not being run?

How to recreate RIM jobs on the SQL server if RIM jobs are missing

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

We are running BES 5; this article applies to BES 4.0 to 4.1

From my readings, BES 4 ran the jobs via SQL Server, in BES 5, they are run from the Blackberry server, but I have found nothing on where to verify whether they are running or not.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

this shold help you determine if the jobs are present

An automated process runs daily to delete outstanding requests from the push request queue on a Microsoft® SQL

Server®. To delete requests from the push request queue manually, you can run the

RIMPurgeMDSMsg

<database_name> process from the Microsoft SQL Server management console.

1. Perform one of the following actions:

• If you are using the Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise Manager, navigate to Console Root\Microsoft SQL Servers

\SQL Server Group\

<BlackBerry_Configuration_Database_server>\Management\SQL Server Agent\Jobs.

Administration Guide Managing push application requests

• If you are using the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, navigate to SQL Server Agent\Jobs.

2. Start the RIMPurgeMDSMsg

<database_name> process.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

Figured the problem out....

I used the stored procedure found on this page:  http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1177/determining-space-used-for-each-table-in-a-sql-server-dat... 

and used this to find what table in the database was so large. I found that JBM_MSG and JBM_MSG_REF were the culprits. I then did a Google on these tables and found the following link useful:

http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/forums/general-bes-discussion/13150-database-growth-jbm_msg.html

Essentially what I did was figured out the problem tables, and then performed the following commands:

TRUNCATE TABLE JBM_MSG

TRUNCATE TABLE JBM_MSG_REF

The tables cleared out and all is now good.

I did some research into those tables and thanks to this site:  https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBMESSAGING-1359

Learned that these tables simply hold unsent messages between blackberry users. When a record finally gets sent, it deletes it out of this table. What most likely happened was something glitched and either the system wasn't taking the DELETE command or the messages never physically got sent. Thus, it is not a big deal if you clear out this table.

I am still concerned my issue may not be 100% fixed because upon deleting, the table is filling back up fast (after 10 minutes already 3000+ rows; prior to TRUNCATE operation it was over 1 million rows)

I will report back with my findings.

Guru III
My Device:

nice details you posted, i hope it subsides and if not then maybe a call to RIM is in order.

let us know how it is in a day.

New Contributor

The problem stems from the SP3 update to BES 5.0. It is pointed out in KB26241 found here:  http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB26461

Essentially the SP3 update can cause previous jobs/events not to process, and because of job processing running in sequential order, it can prevent new jobs from being processed.

So if you contact RIM, they can provide you with the necessary scripts/files to remedy or patch the system.

After applying their patch, the problem has gone away!

Guru III
My Device:

good stuff and thanks again for coming back with more info

hope to see you hang around here some