Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Backup Options - What are you using/doing?

I'm trying to setup a backup stragegy for my BES 10 server, I've tried using Backup Exec 2010 and using the Microsoft SQL agent but it's reporting failure connecting to the database. Still searching for a fix for that...

What is everyone else doing? Using buitlin SQL backup?

I'm looking for options if Backup Exec doesn't workout.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Backup Options - What are you using/doing?

[ Edited ]

I have used this before

http://sqlbackupandftp.com/

I use full SQL on mine and have the database backed up via SQL to a file everynight.

Backup Exec 2010 has failed once for me a few years ago and I like the file way better.

I am also turning off my VM, copy to a folder the whole VM for backup once a month or a snapshot prior to any changes.

My SAN can do snapshots and Clone a storage group, so many choices now with what can be done

How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Configuration Database

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10292

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

I'm leaning towards full SQL as well, then writing the file to tape for offsite storage via Backup Exec.

I've been told that the new version of VMware will support backups without shutting off the VM, this would be great whenever we get it deployed.

Contributor
My Carrier: Verizon

Database: Full SQL, backup to file, ship it off to CommVault.

Server (VM): VM Snap -> NetApp Volume Snap -> CommVault.

New Contributor
My Device: Non-Blackberry provider

Hello,

What specific error are you getting when you use Backup Exec?  What version of SQL agent.  There have been some hotfixes released regarding database connection errors so make sure you have all the Live Updates installed with the agent pushed out to the remote servers.

Lenora Moss
Technical Support Engineer,Symantec Corporation
Contributor

This is the error i'm getting, just checked for updates within Backup Exec, I was already up-to-date.

V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource

New Contributor
My Device: Non-Blackberry provider

This error is generated when there is sometype of communication fault between the resource, media device or permissions.

This document gives solutions and reasons Regarding the error.http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH71780

Lenora Moss
Technical Support Engineer,Symantec Corporation
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

LMosla wrote:

This error is generated when there is sometype of communication fault between the resource, media device or permissions.

This document gives solutions and reasons Regarding the error.http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH71780

I had this errror on a new SQL instance that had a diff user applied to it. once i added in my Veritas service account to it, it was fine after. I also had similar when an agent was on trial and it expired even though I had purchased the license. once the trial was removed it worked fine. so check you licenses too

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

I've read through the link you posted and only issue I can determine is a permissions one. I've tried backing up the BDSMgmt database using besadmin credentials (failed) and another domain admin account (failed) in Backup Exec.

Perhaps I should either grant some permission using SQL Management Studio to that database or use perhaps the SA account (anyone know that password?).

I'm not very handy with SQL so if adding a permission is an option can anyone provide a walkthrough?

Thanks

Noel