Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

BlackBerry fails Activation

Hi Folks,

I've Googled for answers to this and even talked with Verizon Tech Support and nothing seems to work.

I have a BlackBerry Curve that had been in use by an employee that is no longer here. They wanted to give it to a new employee and brought it to me. I admit I'm failrly new to BES and in hindsight should maybe have renamed the old employee to the new employee.

What I did was delete the old employee from Exchange, the file server and BES. I then setup the new employee in Exchange and went into BES and Added this new user in. Well when I go to Enterprise Activation on the phone it just loops in Activating/Retrying and has been doing this since last Thursday. Verizon Tech Support said there equipment held a pin# and it tool 24-48 hours to flush it and this was the problem. Well it has been WAY more than 24-48 hours and same thing.

On the BES it shows as Initializing...

So am I on the right track that the Pi# is somehow still locked or is there something I can do on the BES ?

Thanks !

Chuck

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BlackBerry fails Activation

It is a BESAdmin rite of passage to go through the gauntlet of correcting the right BES data plan with your carrier.

Want to check if a device is provisioned correctly?

https://www.blackberry.com/besc/dashboard/

Then use the Enterprise Activation Readiness tool.

All at absolutely no cost to you or your organization!

The BESC gives you a suite of valuable tools, and includes a Complimentary Support Incident should you need to contact BlackBerry Technical Support directly.

If the tool shows it not ready call the carrier again.

They can usually change it in minutes.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Thanks so much for that information and being understanding of a newbie here :-)

I signed up for that and ran the tool. Got to the part where it sends the email to the device but it never gets there. Talked to Verizon Tech Support again and this person was MUCH more helpful. She reset some stuff and told me some things to try and no luck with anything.

So I deleted this user from BES and readded them and when they came back in their email address showed up as LastnameFirstInitial@ourdomain.com when it had been Firstname.Lastname@ourdomain.com

I'm not really understanding where it is getting that from because on the Exchange setup for this user it shows:

SMTP Firstname.Lastname@ourdomain.com set as the primary...

Any other ideas ?

Thanks,

Chuck

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Was that users address ever changed?

I would fire up asdiedit and compare that user to a functioning one.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I've ran into this a couple of times. The token email sent from BES get sent to junk mail or deleted items as a result of some email rule or I've had multiple token emails sent to the user's mailbox.

I've got around it by connecting the device to my computer and in BAS I use the Attached devices option/manage current devices to assign to the user. It then starts the activation process initializing services.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

I wrote out some things to try during initial EA troubleshooting. You can find it in this post.

OK I followed all of those steps you mentioned in that linked post (thanks!) and in Event Viewer I am getting:

1 user(s) failed to initialize

The message before that was:

User "john doe" not started

And before that:

OpenDatabase() failed for "john doe"

Sorry for being so dense but I'm failing to grasp why this has turned into such a nightmare as oppposed to all the folks I've added with new phones.

I had a friend tell me that the Pin # could be locked at RIM but we do not have a RIM support contract. How long does it take to "unlock" or does it even do that automatically ?

Thanks!

Chuck

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

If the user is failing to initialize, it's is not going to be a problem on the device side. A user failing to initialize means that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is having trouble accessing this user's mailbox. Is the affected user on the same Exchange server and/or mail store as the other working users?

This article might help you out given that specific error.

RIM doesn't "lock" devices randomly. Devices may be locked to a specific carrier (just as devices from other manufacturers could be) but as long as you have the appropriate data plan, you can activate any BlackBerry to a BES.

In this case, it looks like something isn't set up correctly on the server side.

What is the purpose of the token email ? This user gets one of those everytime I try (and fail) to activate this thing. So does that mean it is communicating with the BES ?

Thanks !

Chuck

Guru III
My Device:

If you mean teh etp.dat one it is used for BES to start the connection between phone and BES.

If it stays in the mailbox then you might have a permissions problem with that account.