Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Various
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

BlackBerry's unable to sync after mailbox moves on Exchange 2010 SP1

Hi,

On Friday I moved all of our mailboxes to a new information store located on our SAN (was on local disks after a 2K3 to 2K10 migration).

Since then no BlackBerrys in our estate are receiving updates, neither can they send emails or do lookups against the GAL.

In the Component information section of the User Management tab in the BAS User State is logged as 'Failed to start'

I have seen KB00142 but as we have Exchange 2010 this should not have happened as connectivity is regulated by the CAS role.

So far I have tried restarting the server to no avail, and putting a user on a static agent which also didn't work.

Any assistance troubleshooting this much appreciated.

Sean

Contributor

Re: BlackBerry's unable to sync after mailbox moves on Exchange 2010 SP1

[ Edited ]

IEMSTEST output

C:\Users\besxadmin>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility\IEMSTest.exe"
BlackBerry Enterprise Server Utility - IEMSTest.exe (IExchangeManageStore), Version 1.0
Copyright (c) Research In Motion, Ltd. 1999. All rights reserved.
Opening Default Message Store Mailbox - besxadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk

xxxxxxxxxxxx: Opening message store using
/o=BES Consulting/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxxxxxxxx
/o=BES Consulting/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=
Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=SERVER/cn=Microsoft Private MDB
xxxxxxxxxxxx: OpenMsgStore failed (8004011d)
xxxxxxxxxxxx: CDO Server Name: SERVER
xxxxxxxxxxxx: CDO Mailbox DN: /o=xxxxxxxxxxxx/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx: CDO logon successful
xxxxxxxxxxxx: CDO COM exception: Code = 80040705, WCode = 0505, Code meaning = I
Dispatch error #1285
Description = The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance. [Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store - MAPI_E_FAILONEPROVIDER(8004011D)]].
xxxxxxxxxxxx: CDO test failed
xxxxxxxxxxxx: Active Directory permissions test completed successfully
xxxxxxxxxxxx: Initializing EWS Proxy... successful
xxxxxxxxxxxx: Configuring User... successful
xxxxxxxxxxxx: EWS calendar find request... successful

C:\Users\besxadmin>

I have checked throttle policy as per KB20608 and applied the SP1 changes, although I upgraded to SP1 quite some time ago without any problems.

Problem remains and I see  MAPIMailbox::MAPIMailbox - OpenMsgStore (0x8004011d) failed in the event viewer on the BESX Server when it tries to start each user periodically.

Sean

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone.de

Could it be that the BESAdmin account cannot reach the exchange server?

You can check ones if you are able to create a new MAPI Profile in the BlackBerry Server Configuration.

like described here:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10285

Could be a also a firewall restriction? Have you researched in this direction?

BR

Contributor

Hape wrote:

Could it be that the BESAdmin account cannot reach the exchange server?

You can check ones if you are able to create a new MAPI Profile in the BlackBerry Server Configuration.

like described here:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10285

Could be a also a firewall restriction? Have you researched in this direction?

BR

thanks for your input.

The only change that has happened has been the mailboxes moving to a new Information store.

I followed the instruictions for creating a new MAPI connection and it still doesn't work.

Sean

Contributor

Experimented with moving a user back to the original information store and he has emails flowing into his BB AND his user state is now running.

This is a workaround but I don't want my end users on a IS on the internal drives of the Exchange Server...

Any thoughts on what could be causing the error?

Cheers

Trusted Contributor

What exactly do you mean with "moved to new Information store"?.

Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010?

Or did you moved the user Mailbox in Exchange from one Database to an other one.

Propably you should take a look at these docments as well:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB22601

and

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02276

Are you able to move back one user to the old environement? To check if this user is still able to send/receive messages? Did you send a PIN Message to the device?

BR

Trusted Contributor

For testing instance you can move only one user to the new "Information Store". If at the end this user works than I think all other will also work when you move the user.

One forther Information to my previous Post:

If you move users from Exchange 2003 to 2010 you have also to set special permissions for the Besadmin account on exchange.

Task 4 in this KB  

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02276

says:

To assign Microsoft Exchange Server permissions at the Administrative Group level, complete the following steps for the appropriate Microsoft Exchange environment:

Note: This procedure allows an administrator to manage BlackBerry smartphone users and groups.

For Microsoft Exchange 2010

1. Click Start > Programs > Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 > Exchange Management Shell.
  2. Open the command prompt as administrator, type the following command and then press ENTER:

Add-RoleGroupMember "View-Only Organization Management" -Member "BESAdmin"

Note: If a new mailbox database is created for Microsoft Exchange, repeat step 2 for Microsoft Exchange 2010.

BR

Contributor

Hape wrote:

1. Note: If a new mailbox database is created for Microsoft Exchange, repeat step 2 for Microsoft Exchange 2010.

That's gonna do it I think, didn't know you ha to redo this command if a new mailbox database was created, seems counter intuitive considering the user account already has permissions at the root, surely the new mailbox database should inherit whatever permissions already exist?

Contributor

Okay, I re-ran the above in exchange management shell (2010 SP1) and it returned the following.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Add-RoleGroupMember "View-Only Organization Management" -Member "BESXAdmin"The recipient "BESXAdmin" is already a member of the group "xxxxxxxxxxxx/Microsoft Exchange Security Groups/View-Only Organization Management".    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (BESXAdminSmiley FrustratedecurityPrincipalIdParameter) [Add-RoleGroupMember], MemberAlre   adyExistsException    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : FC620C35,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RbacTasks.AddRoleGroupMember
[PS] C:\Windows\system32>

I've restarted exchange earlier this morning and i'll restart BESX in a few minutes to see if that has any affect,

Trusted Contributor

After you have moved the users to the new information store... where was the accont of BESadmin?

Still on the old environement? Perhaps you can temp. move the Besadmin account as well to the new environement.

See here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/248178-2007-2010-exchange-transition.html

I think you have to move the BESadmin account to the new environement too. After that you can use the mailboxes in the new environement. Access to the old environement should still available.

Can you also send recevive messages between old and new environement?

BR