Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Iphone 4 - S3 - Z10 - PlayBook - Nexus 7
My Carrier: Super Duper Scooby Doo Network
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Playbook WIFI Actiavtion - BDS Setup not working

I'm completely lost here.

I have a bes 4.1 install a  Besx 5.0.3 Install, Mobile fusion 6.1 and Blackberry device server 6.10.13 installed

The playbook has os 2.1.x whatever was released today.

I'm trying to activate the playbook over wifi and no matter what i try is will not connect to the server.  

I've read all the documentation for blackberry device service 6.1 and i'm extremely fustrated.

i've read this http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/46158/BlackBerry_Device_Service_6.1_Feature_and_Tec...

And This http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/46158/BlackBerry_Device_Service_6.1_Feature_and_Tec...

I don't se any mention of anything special needed to activate the playbook over wifi.  

The user is created and the activation password is set. I've tried using the public address to activate the playbook, ive tried  the internal ip address of the server while connected to the internal wifi  that the server is on.  I tried the FQDN of the server while internal.

THe BDS configuration tool shows that the BDS server can send and recieve on port 3101. (is this the same for bes 4.1, besx 5.0.3???)  

I'm stumped and nothing in the documentation suggests i have to setup a nat or tunnel between the server and blackberry infastructure.. All i see is that the BDS needs to be able to create and outbound connection on port 3101 be able to send and recieve).

Any clues?!?!?

I can activate it through the webconsole and connecting throught the USB cable but this isn't ideal.

Contributor

Re: Blackberry Playbook WIFI Actiavtion - BDS Setup not working

Yah... so after i setup email activation where is sends the email to the user is see it uses some server name like s1111111.

once i put that server name in, it activated.

another 3 hours wasted readying everything with out seeing that mentioned..

doh/

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Mobistar

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as you when i'm trying to activate my PlayBook over the wifi.

Finding the menu where I could activate it was already hard enough (in case somebody wonders, you can find it by opening Settings > Accounts > Add new account > Email, calendar and contacts > Advanced setup > Work account)

I then created an activation password in the BDS and used the information the BDS provided (User ID and Server address [S########]) to activate the playbook, but I always get the error:

"Unable to contact the server, please check connectivity or server address"

I checked the following:

- I have PlayBook OS 2.1 installed

- BDS version is v6.1

- I had wifi connection on my PlayBook (our wifi is "internet only", so I can't directly access the corporate network)

- I tested the SRP connection with the BlackBerry Server Configuration utility, and the tests were successful.

I did succeed in activating my PlayBook via USB cable though.

The only 2 things I can possibly think of are:

- Does the Playbook needs to be connected to the corporate network for the wireless activation to work?

- Do I need to do something special with the SRP ID, like registering it with RIM manually or something?

All suggestions by people who got this working are welcome!

Thanks!

Contributor

There is a check box that says allow activation through blackberry infrastructure network or similar. I was using an external wifi connection.

Seemed sketchy though as it took a couple of attempts to finish without errors. The usb activation is faster for me
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply!

I found the option you were talking about under Devices > Wireless Activations > Device Activation Settings, however "Allow activation over BlackBerry infrastructure" was already set to "Yes"...

I was wondering, the only firewall rule needed for BDS to work is port 3101 outbound, right? (I also read something bout ports 8081 and 8444, but I suppose these are only needed for internal use?)
New Contributor

Apparently rebooting the server did the trick...
Several days after the reboot, the wireless activation failed again, but after another reboot it was working fine again.

Weird... If I figure out what is causing this, I'll post it here.