Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Confused on BES10/UDS infrastructure, DMZ requirement

Hi

We've installed BES10 (BDS and Fusion Console) and have activated Z10s fine, no issues.

No we want to install UDS and get some iPhones/Androids on there to test it out.

I'm totally confused on how the UDS architecture works, so bare with me.

From what I understand, the Core and Console portion of the UDS can be installed on an internal server, and the Communication Module needs to be installed in the DMZ (internet facing). 

We already have Active Sync working externally (activesync.company.com) which goes through a VPN virtual hostname into our Exchange 2003 environment.

Now, to add UDS into the mix, do I need to have another external hostname (e.g. uds.company.com) that points to the Communication Module server? Can the Communication Module be internal if I setup another virtual hostname on our VPN and point it to the internal UDS server?

When users activate their iPhone/Android, I assume they would point to uds.company.com and not activesync.company.com, correct?

Thanks,

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: Confused on BES10/UDS infrastructure, DMZ requirement

Hello mvietori,

The communications module must be accessible from the internet otherwise devices would have issues communicating when not connected to the internal network. At this time we do not support activations over VPN, see Page 10 under the section of “Installing the Communication Module” in the following document explains the requirement for the communications module to be accessible from the internet. http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/49194/Universal_Device_Service_6.2.1_Installation_a...

To address your last question:

When users activate their iPhone/Android, I assume they would point to uds.company.com and not activesync.company.com, correct?

Yes, that is correct as the devices are activated to the communications module address.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!