Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Control 3rd Party Apps and determine what is presently installed

I need to get a handle on 3rd Party apps. Currently we do not restrict Third Party Application Downloads. I believe I need to turn this on but not sure I'm ready for all the ramifications.

I believe I need to understand what 3rd party apps are presently installed. Is there an easy way to get a list on what software is installed? I realize I can open each device on the BAS but this is not very efficient.

I understand I can enable a Application Control Policy to disable any software not approved. But I will need to work on this to get a handle on exactly how it works. Is there a good kb for me?

Currently we restrict the bulk of our users from the BlackBerry Browser, just limited use by the IT staff. I have a users requesting this access to get to our internal Intranet. My concern is if I open this up and don't control 3rd party apps I will have security issues like keyloggers or DDOS, and others that could potential hurt the business.

I working on a white paper to present to the Director of IT to get his approval to turn this on. I anticipate some resistance and know I will needs executive buy in to get this to work. Any suggestions or input will be greatly appreciated.

My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Control 3rd Party Apps and determine what is presently installed

you can find the apps through the SQL server, or utilize the BES User admin service. I typically use the BES user admin service. you can pipe the results to a txt file.

if you you cant find it, im sure i could find my SQL query somewhere.

Which version of BES are you on?

In 4.1 (which based on your archaic policies, i assume your IT organization moves slowly), the only way to whitelist apps is to have the .alx and .cod files on your BES server. Its absolutely terrible. I tried to implement it in my company and decided it was absolutely unmanageable.

Think of google maps, one of my company favorites. They make a special .COD for each blackberry handheld, and sometimes each OS version for handhelds. you would end up having dozens of configs for just freaking google.

i abandoned it until they put a better system in. I'll revisit when i finish our 5.0 deployment.

a good suggestion though.. limit your users to only downloading apps from bb app world. i think you can do this via IT policy.

I take off my robe and wizard hat...