Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8830
My Carrier: Verizon

Default WiFi Policy

We're running a BES 5.0 server and I just set up a WiFi policy and assigned it to all our users. I'd like that policy to be assigned to any new user by default when creating that user - like the Default IT Policy. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Scott

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry BOLD 9700
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Default WiFi Policy

[ Edited ]

You created a new Policy and assigned it to everyone individually?

You could backtrack a bit.. And create a basic group for everyone. Apply the policy at the group level.

Then when you add a user, right on the creation screen there is an option to select a group. Do so and it will be applied then.

It will also make it easy should you redesign a new IT policy and need to apply it in mass.

Edit*  The above is my reccomendation -- however if you do not have a very strict policy to enforce you can make your edits in the Default policy and this would be applied to any new user.

New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. This is a good idea. We don't use groups, but I created one - added a test user, but now I can't see how you can apply a wifi policy to a group. I see that there is an option to add an IT Policy. Is it possible to add a wifi policy to a group?

Thanks,

Scott

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

scottyp55 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. This is a good idea. We don't use groups, but I created one - added a test user, but now I can't see how you can apply a wifi policy to a group. I see that there is an option to add an IT Policy. Is it possible to add a wifi policy to a group?

Thanks,

Scott

yes you can assign a IT Policy to a group.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry BOLD 9700
My Carrier: ATT

Did you create a wifi policy under IT Policies, or did you create a wifi-profile?

New Contributor

I created a wifi profile and assigned it to each user individually. Can this be assigned to a group? Thanks.

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: O2

[ Edited ]

I would also like to assign a Wifi profile to a group but cannot find how to do this, I suspect that you can't do it.

Seem's an oversight by RIM that you cannot apply a Wifi profile to a group or a policy and they need to be individually assigned to users, its an extra set up step for our service desk and one that is sure to be missed.

I know that you can create and assign one Wifi network within an IT policy but if you need to assign several you are screwed.