Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Do I need the Blackberry Enterprise Server

I work for a small company that has been using blackberry devices for the last 8 years. In recent years many of our employees have switched to windows devices and therefore our Blackberry Enterprise server is out of date. My question is: Is it possible to receive corp email (from MS exchange server) without running the Blackberry Enterprise Server?   If so what are the pros and cons of operating this way.

Thanks.

New Contributor

Re: Do I need the Blackberry Enterprise Server

It is possible to receive corporate email via an Exchange 2007 server without the need for a BES server.  The only catch, you need a windows mobile device or a device that supports MS Activesync (such as iPhones).  Blackberry devices do not support Activesync.   

Wireless Activesync is a new feature of Exchange 2007 (not supported in Exchange 2003 or earlier versions).  I have set up both BES and Exchange Activesync servers.  In my personal opinion Activesync was much more simple and easier to manage, especially for a small environment.  You do however loose out on all kinds of manageability and features.  Basically Activesync passes email, contacts, calendar, etc, and allows you to remotely wipe a device, but beyond that, there aren't many options.  Which would explain why it is so simple to manage.  Please note I do not have real world experience with devices other than the iPhone, so I cannot speak to the features and ease of setup on Windows Mobile devices. 

In my experience also, Activesync is significantly more stable.  Devices (iPhones) are also a breeze to configure to connect back to Exchange. 

One other benefit, Activesync (on the server side) is free with Exchange 2007, and does not require any client licenses.   

Hope that clarifies a few things for you.

Retired

Since the users likely already have the capability to setup a BlackBerry Internet Service account, they would be able to get email from Exchange provided the access is being granted from the Exchange Server.  I found the following article on the BlackBerry site that shows how to create a BlackBerry Internet Service account:

www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB03087

If the user is having difficulty getting the email account set up for Outook 2007 (for example) then they can use the article below to troubleshoot:

www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02858

Of course there is always the option of BlackBerry Desktop Redirector as well. Let us know how it goes and I do use a BlackBerry Smiley Happy.

Retired

I found this link as well, which talks about some of the differences between the BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server solution:

www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB03652