Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Do I need to buy 2 Bes 5.0 Servers?

We are a fairly small setup (total blackberry users are 35)...we originally had 1 BES 4.1.5 server at our east coast office which is connected to our small (10 user branch office) on the west coast via an MPLS connection.  However, the 5 or so users out west were having sync issues, delay in emails, timeout's on sending, etc.  Worked with T-support and it was determined there was too big a latency between the BES server on east coast and the users mailstore on west coast server.  So we were advised to get a Blackberry Professional Server (BPS) for the west coast to manage the 5 or so users.

Fast forward 2 years...we pay yealy T-support on both servers (BES and BPS) so we qualify for the 5.0 upgrade.  However, I will need to pay $3k to upgarde the BPS to BES.  Since it is only 5 or so users and am already paying $1k a year maintenance on that BPS server, any ideas on how I can accomplish this?  What I mean, is I know that different services of BES 5.0 can be seperated and you can setup for high availability...any suggestions on how I can implement a BES 5.0 platform without buying an additional BES server for 5 users?

Thanks for any help.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: Do I need to buy 2 Bes 5.0 Servers?

Wow your in a rough situation. The latency most likely still exists between your site, so you are going to need to BES solutions in place. Honestly, I'd hate to say it, but you are between a rock and a hard place. Why upgrade the BPS though, if that is the small deployment, I would just leave that one alone.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Contributor

Well unfortunately it would seem that Blackberry has abandoned BPS beyond security updates.  It never received the added features of 4.1.6 with HTML emails, etc.  And although it is a small office, it is the office of our executive head office...so it has been already unfortunate that they have not had the same feature set as the east coast users...and now with 5.0 the ability of remote file access, flagging email's for follow-up, etc...I would hate to have them left on the BPS.

But I also am having a difficult time swallowing a $3k upgrade cost for 5 -10 users.  Hmm...thanks for the bad news tho!! haha

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Dang... sorry man.  Agree with BBhorigan.  U R stuck.  Especially when these are the Execs.  :-(

3K+ for added features in BES 5.0 (and future enhancements) vs. leaving Execs behind (and sort of end of upgrade path).

It's a case for the Execs to decide.

:-)

Good luck!

-silly-

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

[ Edited ]

You may try to use OWA over BIS maybe, if it is only 5 users...or if they need all new bes 5.0 features let them buy it.
Message Edited by bbinmyhart on 05-25-2009 03:08 PM
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

bbinmyhart wrote:

You may try to use OWA over BIS maybe, if it is only 5 users...or if they need all new bes 5.0 features let them buy it.

Just remember that, via BIS/OWA, you only get email OTA. Calendar, contacts, etc. all then require tethered sync.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

sdgardne wrote:

bbinmyhart wrote:

Just remember that, via BIS/OWA, you only get email OTA. Calendar, contacts, etc. all then require tethered sync.

And OP was talking about execs too. Show me an exec that likes downgrades.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Thank you all for your input.  I will probably worry about upgrading our east coast users to 5.0 this summer and then let the west coast decide what they want me to do!!
Forums Advisor I

Unfortunatelly if they want features from BES 5.0 then all you can do is to get them 5.0. There is no other way around it or else no one would buy bes 5.0. ;-)
Forums Advisor I

sdgardne wrote:

bbinmyhart wrote:

... or to spend money on IT. ;-)

bbinmyhart wrote: