Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10

Does UDS Gatekeeping Work With BDS Playbook / BB10?

Quick question. When implementing the gatekeeping functionality of UDS it is necessary to set the default state of unmanaged devices to Blocked. Given that Playbook and BB10 devices will use ActiveSync for mail, how will these devices be allowed if the gatekeeping feature is UDS specific? Does BDS also flag these devices as allowed, or does it become necessary to flag all Playbook and BB10 devices as allowed by default in Exchange?

In our environment we can't really test this since doing so would impact users, so I need to know what RIM has to say about this feature.

Thanks.

----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

Re: Does UDS Gatekeeping Work With BDS Playbook / BB10?

You have to allow the BB10 devices in the ABQ list on Exchange or add the BDS user to the UDS to see the blocked device there. I already told RIM that this is a pain a couple of weeks ago, but got no real feedback to that Smiley Sad
------------------------------
Find more information about Enterprise Mobility Management at EMMAdmin.com
Super Contributor

Thanks, that is sort of a pain. Easy enough to set all BB devices to Allow, but then it also means that these users can gain access to ActiveSync directly which sort of defeats the purpose. I guess for now we'll have to Quarantine them and enable them manually.

You'd think that, considering both components are part of the same product, they'd have given this some thought before releasing the feature....

----------
Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: TDC - Denmark

Is there any news on this behavior ?

Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: TDC - Denmark

Don't know if we are able to set something with the Device User Agent setting ?

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=648315BA66063C010A3AE27560001833?...

Highlighted
Super Contributor

This would work however it also would allow users with Z10 or Playbook devices to connect directly to ActiveSync without being managed by BDS. I suppose the workaround is to Quarantine them and then manually allow or block as required.

Hardly ideal though and more manual work.

----------