Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Multiple
My Carrier: Verizon

Downgrade options from BES 5.0.3 MR4?

I need to back out a recent upgrade to our BES environment, and the old BES 5.0 server which was my backout plan, has been decommissioned 3 weeks after the upgrade.  4 weeks after the upgrade, we had complaints that "about a month ago x started happening."  We have been on the phone with RIM support to fix problem X and they aren't really a lot of help, so at this point, I am reaching out for any downgrade possibilities to BES 5.0.  The database was upgraded during the move from 5.0 to 5.0.3, so I am stumped at what I should do to roll this back.

Single BES server, with a test server ready to be installed if needed for HA.

BESAdmin
BES 5.0.0
Exchange 2k3 / Exchange 2007
MS SQL 2k5 on a separate SQL box
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Downgrade options from BES 5.0.3 MR4?

Do you have a backup of the old database? With out that there is no easy way.

You could install an old version and move user over, not sure if transporter work to an older version of BES though.

What is your issue with the newest version of BES?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
Contributor

I do have a backup of the old database.  The issue is, we are in the retail business, and when sending to DVEgate POS systems from Blackberry, or anything in Rich Text for that matter, the DVEGate cannot read the email.  Prior to upgrading this was not an issue.  We, ourselves, set a registry key of MAPIEncoding = 0x2 believing this was the old setting, and RIM can reproduce the issue, but thought MAPIEncoding setting should fix our problem.  They are still investigating, but I am being pushed from multiple directions (as we have over 800 stores nationwide) to get this done yesterday. Smiley Wink

BESAdmin
BES 5.0.0
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I would spin up a test BES of SP3 with no MR on it and see if it works. then if it does not try SP2

Try moving a user over with transporter and see if it works to the test server.

If it works, transporter can be used to move everyone else over.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

If I have the 5.0 database, why would I need to use transporter to move the users?  They would already exist in the database, correct?

BESAdmin
BES 5.0.0
Guru III
My Device:

You have two options, downgrade BES to older version from backup or test older version and move users back.

Some people will lose some backup settings from the time you did the upgrade but if thats ok then do it.

Contributor

Thanks.  We are in the process today and tonight and I will report back tomorrow.

BESAdmin
BES 5.0.0
Guru III
My Device:

how did it go?

Contributor

Thanks for the reminder. 

So, it works correctly on a test box with flat 5.0 installed.  We finally talked RIM into a temp SRP so we can test this out parallel to our prod environment, since they don't have a direct fix.

We will slowly be upgrading 1 SP at a time and testing and see where it breaks.  I am hoping we will be able to bring up a new HA node and failover, that is considering the issue is not embedded now in the database, rather than use the transporter.  Even RIM TS didn't have good things to say about using Transporter for production becuase of regeneration of encryption keys.

Wish me luck, I will continue to post back throughout the next couple of days.

BESAdmin
BES 5.0.0
Guru III
My Device:

Good luck, hope it all works out