Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Contributor
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Exchange 2003 to 2010 - BES in a mixed environment???

I have been researching and have seen conflicting stories on this, so thought I would see if anyone can provide first hand knowledge.

We are currently an Exchange 2003 shop but will soon be migrating to Exchange 2010.  First in the lab, and then eventually in production.  I have seen the RIM KB article about moving from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.  Overall a good article and I think seems to highlight key steps.  However the article is written as though you are going to basically migrate all users at once and then reconfigure the BES MAPI profile.  Does anyone know if a mixed environment will function properly in terms of the BES?  For example if we only move over say 50 users at a time can BES pick up these new Exchange 2010 mailboxes and still continue to deliver to the Exchange 2003 based mailboxes?  Our plan would be to continue to use the same BESAdmin account, and that account would have full rights to both 2003 and 2010 mailboxes. 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: come to http://www.blackberryforums.com/

Re: Exchange 2003 to 2010 - BES in a mixed environment???

Follow this KB and Move the user mailboxes when you want to. It will work on both.

How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to M...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

That is the KB I had seen, and it looked pretty thorough.  It just seemed to imply a one time cutover of all mailboxes (including BESAdmin) and then changing the MAPI profile on Blackberry.  That all makes sense, but was not sure about support for a mixed environment of 2003 and 2010.  

In a mixed scenario would we leave the BESAdmin mailbox and MAPI profile pointing to the Exchange 2003 side until all the moves were complete, or would we have to move them to the Exchange 2010 side?  Are new Messaging agents created for the Exchange 2010 mail servers and mailboxes?

Sorry for all the questions.  Just not sure how this would go.  Glad it will be in the lab first I guess. 

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

scottj3 wrote:

That is the KB I had seen, and it looked pretty thorough.  It just seemed to imply a one time cutover of all mailboxes (including BESAdmin) and then changing the MAPI profile on Blackberry.  That all makes sense, but was not sure about support for a mixed environment of 2003 and 2010.  

In a mixed scenario would we leave the BESAdmin mailbox and MAPI profile pointing to the Exchange 2003 side until all the moves were complete, or would we have to move them to the Exchange 2010 side?  Are new Messaging agents created for the Exchange 2010 mail servers and mailboxes?

Sorry for all the questions.  Just not sure how this would go.  Glad it will be in the lab first I guess. 

You have to move the BESAdmin account but not the mailboxes.

Agents will be spawn for both servers.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Thanks, will try that in our lab.  Appreciate the quick responses.

Guru III
My Device:

Your welcome, hope all goes well for you.

Post back when done or if you have more questions.

Visitor
My Device: n/a
My Carrier: verizon

Can I use this procedure for BES Express 5.0.1.4 too?

Guru III
My Device:

tchristopher wrote:

Can I use this procedure for BES Express 5.0.1.4 too?

Yes you can.

New Contributor
My Device: 8700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Did moving the BES Admin account mailbox work? Were your Blackberry users on Exchange 2003 still working?

Contributor

Have not tried yet.  Actually waiting for the BES 5.0.3 release to hit, which I guess is any day now.  Figured we might as well test that along with the Exchnage 2010 migration as long as we are in "lab mode".  Plus 5.0.3 has some fixes that are crucial to Exchange 2010 (I think also found in 5.0.2 MR4).