Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: High memory usage on Blackberry 5 server

Hey,

we resolved the issue by moving the SQL database to another server.

Is that an option for you?

Cheers

Marcel

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone.de

Unfortunately not.

Do you know what exactly the problem is?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry BOLD 9700
My Carrier: ATT

Interestingly enough I am having this same issue at present.

To me this speaks of a memory leak. As in instead of releasing the resources back to the OS, the messaging agents continue to slowly add up and consume more resouces over time.

I currently have an ticket open with RIM on the matter, and have been assured it has been escalated to their highest level of support (which they all claim isnt higher than level 2) but I am hoping the rep they assigned to this case is one of their best and we will be able to either isolate the issue, or get them to admit to a bug. I'll keep this thread posted with any new details.

My issue further clarified/explain:

We have 2 BES 5.0.2 servers in HA (4 servers total)

In a VMware environment:  4 CPU (2 assigned cpus 4 cores) and 4GB of RAM per server

Remote SQL 2005 server.

between 400 and 500 users per server.

After about a week the memory usage hits about 90% and the memory spikes as the server starts to use the page file more. We essentially fail over and reboot.

Our issue is further compounded by a migration from email extender to enterprise vault. The process that was created to do this, exports a pst of the users mailbox. Unshortcuts the stubs. Then it imports the unshortcut PST into the users mailbox, then all the items are shortcut again by the new system.  This creates quite a load off hours and causes a spike in memory usage, and unfortunately the memory never gets released.

Still no word on this, eh?  Over a year of rebooting the server every 2-3 days is acceptable to RIM?  I'm just about ready to switch everyone over to iPhones at this rate, but what small business can afford that?

At least I've found others that don't think I'm nuts.  I narrowed it to the BES 6 months ago, but at that time I couldn't find anyone that had the same issue as me, so I gave up.  At least I know where I can keep an eye on to see if RIM ever decides to throw us a bone.

My Carrier: AT&T

Has anyone tried to move the BAS to another server?  For me, I have the SQL server running on another box and my highest memory usage is on the BAS-AS service.  The web interface is crazy slow and it crashes randomly. 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry BOLD 9700
My Carrier: ATT

After over a month of trying to convince RIM it was a memory leak (BAS installed on separate servers than ones experiencing issue)

They have finally agreed there is an issue and have escalated it internally to the development team...

I'll post more if I ever hear back.

I just upgraded 2 days ago to 5, i am glad to see i am not the only one having this issue. Im guessing they havent released a patch yet.

My Device: BlackBerry 8300
My Carrier: AT&T

I also upgraded a BPS 4.1 to BES Express 5.0.2 this weekend. The BES is running on a SBS 2003 R2. It is consuming 780MB RAM with 1 user defined. This is completely unnecessary. Does anyone have the Fix?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

the manual states that you need 1.5 gig free RAM on the server you are installing BES on. Is BES using more than that?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Vodacom

Anybody have any news on this?

I have the exact same issue with BES 5.0.2 running on WIN2008 on a VM at a client.

We have 4 servers and 4 HA's all with the same issue. They are configured with 4 GB of RAM and runs in the 90% all the time. 100 users per server (for now)

Bumped two of then to 8 GB and they are running without problems.

I also have clients running a similiar config only difference is they are using physical servers instead of VM. These guys don't have memory issues.