Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10/Z30 etc
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

License activation or changinig the license on activated devices

Hello,

i have a BES10 Server with a variety of different smartphones. Some are BlackBerry Z10 or Z30, but i also have a lot of Android Devices (Samsung S5 or xCover 2) and even a few iOS-Devices. Thea are all activated via BES10-Client and are currenty running good. But there is a problem with the activation of licenses:

I have 20+ Silver Licenses and 20+ Gold Secure Work Space Licenses. I activated a lot of devices in the last few days and now, my silver licenses are all used and my gold licenses are all available. Now i have to activate a Z10 and i can't, because there is no silver license available anymore. So my question: How can i the license on a few already activated Android devices to the Gold License, so i have enough license in the silver stack to activate BlackBerry Devices again?

And Is it possible to select a license, while activating a new device (BlackBerry or Android or iOS)?

thx for help!

Super Contributor
My Device: Z30

Re: License activation or changinig the license on activated devices

Hi,

Why have you not used the gold licenses on the Android devices to make use of the SWS feature?

Did you also know that you can use one of the gold licenses for your Z10 as long as it's activated on regulated mode?

The only way around it is to deactivate some of the devices that are using the silver licenses and start to use the gold ones for Androind SWS feature.

Don't forget to hit like if I resolved your issue! Smiley Happy
New Contributor

Because i did not really had the choice. Unless i did something terribly wrong. When i activate a device (doesn't matter which kind) i cannot select a license. If there is a possibility to do that or to change my preferences, so i have the chance to select a license package, then i'd like to know what changes i have to make on the server side to have that opportunity.

Thx!

Super Contributor

Well you need to free up the silver licenses or add more/convert.

License selection during the activation process does not exist. It comes from a pool of licenses. It all depends if you try to activate using regulated mode with BB10 devices or SWS for iOS/Android. If you don't bother selecting that and instead using balance for BB10 or simple MDM for non BlackBerry devices then you will use up the silver ones!

It's much simpler now than it was before Smiley Happy

New Contributor

OK, i cannot just add more licences and would'nt make sense, because we basically have enough of themm, they are just not assigned the right way.

That i cannot select a license while activating a user, is very annoying especially when u have two or even more sets of licences.... But ok.. How can i solve this? Do i have to creat groups with a special activation type and select that while creating a new user? i saw that now after looking a bit more carefully into the options i have...

Is it possible to move an existing user/device in those groups so they will get the other license? or do i have to say to all my clients to give their phones back because i have to reactivate them with the proper license?

Thx!

Super Contributor

Hi,

I don't think you have understood my previous post. You don't assign licenses to users. It depends on the activation mode you use!

So you have different activation profiles:

EMM corporate is the standard balance profile

EMM regulated is work space only

I can't remember the iOS or Android SWS term but I don't have the console in front of me.

So yes, you need to get the devices back and activate them correctly.

Super Contributor

Actually I might have missed something here. You can use a gold license for BlackBerry to activate your bb10 devices. However you said that you only have gold licenses for SWS ? Can you confirm?

New Contributor

My Licenses are:
Silver: BlackBerry 10 devices, BlackBerry PlayBook tablets, iOS devices, and Android devices (23 / 0 available / 23 in Use)
Gold  Secure Work Space: iOS devices and Android devices (22 / 21 available / 1 in Use)

(thats what my BES 10 Management Studio says)

Super Contributor

And here in lies your problem. You don't have any BlackBerry Gold licenses, only SWS. As I said previously, you'll need to get back some of those devices and free up the silver ones if any of the Android / iOS decides are using the basic MDM. You can also use EZ Pass if you have an existing BES 5 environment in order to convert the licenses. Or buy some more...

You need to organize your license distribution by better understanding the new licensing options. You can find all that in this document :

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/64003/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Service_10-Licensing_Gu...

New Contributor

hmm, as far as i understand that document, the bb licensing server or service will choose the license for itself, when i activate a device. but obviously it does not switch licenses when i want to activate a device, that is not covered with the license that is still available. so basically if there is a problem like mine, then you have to activate all blackberry devices before you activate all ios / android devices, so that the bb device fill out the silver licenses. and when the silver licenses are all in use, i only can activate ios / android devices. if there is a bb-device to activate, i have to delete a non-bb device first, activate the bb-device and then reactivate the non-bb device, so it gets the other license.

i am sorry, but this sucks!
if i have two licenses that cover the same thing (so non-bb device sws-service in silver and gold sws licenses) then there should be a possibility to select the license or the bb-licensing service has to switch the licenses around for itself...

btw: fermanagh i will like your posts, because you brought some light to this issue at least for me, although i don't really like the meaning of your comments Smiley Wink