Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telekom

Move existing installation of BES 10.1.3 to new Windows 2008R2 OS

Hi there,

we have setup an evaluation system BES 10.1.3 and now after finishing our tests we want to take it over to be a productive system (ESXi 5.1 Host VM). But then we recognize that we have made a mistake during the setup of the OS. Instead of installing Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition we have installed the Datacenter Edition and there is no way to downgrade the trial license with a standard key to a standard edition. Now my Question: Is there a way to transfer the hole bes installation with all licenses and already installed bes users to a new Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard OS. I found articles about moving the database but I also have to move then bes installation. I already know that the license management need the same MAC address.

Who can help me?

Contributor
My Carrier: A1

Re: Move existing installation of BES 10.1.3 to new Windows 2008R2 OS

Hi,

I had the same issue.

What I did was:

1) Backup SQL Database, restore it to another computer.

2) Take everything you need from current server and copy to the new one.

3) Your new Server needs to have the same hostname as the old one (or else the installation wont work).

4) install BES 10.1.2 on the new server (10.2 might also work)

5) Upgrade to 10.1.3 or 10.2 (because the software wont be compatible with SQL databases if you don´t)

6) Renew APN Certificate in UDS, if you formerly had it.

7) Transfer the licenses --> KB34147

That should be it.

Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Contributor
My Carrier: A1

You need of course to use existing SQL Databases. I used a separate SQL Server for hosting the BES 10 Databases.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

My data base was on a separate server and I just installed BES 10.2

I used a new BES name and moved users over to it after moving licenses to new SRP/ instance

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Tanks for you reply, but can you explain step 7 in more detail. How can I transfer the license if the new server is not a further instance of a pool installation?
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you will have a new MAC address and SID that teh license service will need to use to connect

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Here is what I've done and the actual status

1. install a second instance inside the existing blackberry domain (of course the os is now the standard version :-) )
2. activate the license server service on the second instance
3. remove all licenses from the first instance inside the blackberry account manager (BAM). Here I first got the problem that firefox did not render the page correctly without any warrning. It was very confusing and hard to follow the knowledgebase articles from step 7 in Milan90 reply . After a second try with IE everything becomes clear.
4. poll the new license setting inside blackberry management studio (BMS) on the first instance. All licenses has gone.
5. switch the license server to the second instance inside BMS
6. reactivate all licenses on the second instance inside BMS
7. stoping the license server service on the first instance
8. sending a test mail to the bb10 devices successfully
9. move all blackberry devices/accounts to the second instance inside blackberry administraion service website (BAS)
10. stop all blackberry services on both instances
11. backup the databases  (BDSMgmt and BDSMgmt_UDS) on the first instance
12. install sql server 2008 r2 express on second instance
13. rebuild databases on second instance
14. grant access to blackberry service accounts
15. edit path infos for database in registry keys
16. restart blackberry services on second instance
17. test database path and connection inside "BES10 Configuration Tool" successfully
18. sending a test mail to the bb10 devices successfully
19. remove BAS component of the first instance inside BAS "BB Solution Topology->BB Domain->Component View" successfully. The first instance was still offline and I acceppt the message "If the machine is inaccessible it will be assumed the software has been uninstalled. ". Maybe it was a mistake not to delete the Software from the frist instance.

Now if I try to delete the "Universal Device Component" inside BAS (0 Users) I got the message
"Users are still being moved from BlackBerry Device Service. Wait until the move has completed before deleting the instance." I retry after rebooting the second instance, same error.

Inside "BES10 Configuration Tool" on the "Blackberry Management Studio" tab I can still see the url of the first instance as "Universal Device Service". I can't delete this entry neither edit the URL.

Inside BMS the "Services" menu doesn't list a link to the "Universal Device Service"

It's possible to launch the universal device webpage on the second instance.

How can i fix this?

Guru III
My Device:

did you just move the database or run the creatBD.exe prior to restoring it?

Contributor

I just move the exisiting database according to the kb article
Guru III
My Device:

This one?

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB34017