Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9780 - 9800
My Carrier: TIM Italy
Accepted Solution

Multiple BES instances: requirements

Hello!

Since we have an Exchange in Europe and one in USA, we are considering the idea of installing a BES 5.0.3 in USA as the one we have in Europe. This is mainly because of very slow activations overseas.

I'd have some questions after reading several info online:

1. will I need another BES license or can I use the one I already have in Europe? SRP?
  2. I've read it would be better to use the same database for both instances so I can share policies and CALs. Do you suggest me to buy an SQL 2005 or 2008 and create a replication in USA, or will the American BES be able to use the European database even if latency is around 150ms?
  3. From a very practical point of view, is there anything I should know for installing the new BES? Will I be asked during the installation wizard to provide the info of the existing BES so it will be considered part of the same domain?

Thank you very much!

Luca

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Multiple BES instances: requirements

cortez_bdg wrote:

Hello!

Since we have an Exchange in Europe and one in USA, we are considering the idea of installing a BES 5.0.3 in USA as the one we have in Europe. This is mainly because of very slow activations overseas.

I'd have some questions after reading several info online:

1. will I need another BES license or can I use the one I already have in Europe? SRP?  Yes you need another SRP.
  2. I've read it would be better to use the same database for both instances so I can share policies and CALs. Do you suggest me to buy an SQL 2005 or 2008 and create a replication in USA, or will the American BES be able to use the European database even if latency is around 150ms? Sharin a database is a good thing and is more tolerant of lag.
  3. From a very practical point of view, is there anything I should know for installing the new BES? Will I be asked during the installation wizard to provide the info of the existing BES so it will be considered part of the same domain?I would use a seaparate BESAdmin service account for the one in USA that resides on the mailbox of USA.

If the Europe mail server goes down then both BES go down.

If it seems too much, you can do a seaparate database in the US and move users over with transporter.

Thank you very much!

Luca

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Thanks knottyrope. Having another SRP means buying another license: am I correct? If so, I could consider buying an upgrade of a 4.x BES we have spare...

I can stand the European dependency: now it's already behaving this way and we can bear.

Thank you again!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

cortez_bdg wrote:

Thanks knottyrope. Having another SRP means buying another license: am I correct? If so, I could consider buying an upgrade of a 4.x BES we have spare...

I can stand the European dependency: now it's already behaving this way and we can bear.

Thank you again!

Yes you must purchase it and you will sae a lot with an 4.x upgrade. it was about 1000.00 USD last I looked.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

Thanks knottyrope.

knottyrope wrote:

cortez_bdg wrote:
  1. I've read it would be better to use the same database for both instances so I can share policies and CALs. Do you suggest me to buy an SQL 2005 or 2008 and create a replication in USA, or will the American BES be able to use the European database even if latency is around 150ms? Sharin a database is a good thing and is more tolerant of lag.

Hello. In the main BES server we are using the embedded DBMS (MS SQL 2005 Express): can we share this one as well since we are not asking for replication, mirroring and other advanced features?

Guru III
My Device:

cortez_bdg wrote:
Thanks knottyrope.

knottyrope wrote:

cortez_bdg wrote:
  1. I've read it would be better to use the same database for both instances so I can share policies and CALs. Do you suggest me to buy an SQL 2005 or 2008 and create a replication in USA, or will the American BES be able to use the European database even if latency is around 150ms? Sharin a database is a good thing and is more tolerant of lag.

Hello. In the main BES server we are using the embedded DBMS (MS SQL 2005 Express): can we share this one as well since we are not asking for replication, mirroring and other advanced features?

That should not be an issue, how many users total will you have?

New Contributor

Just 40ish, so the DBMS itself shouldn't be a problem. I was concerned about the possibility to connect remotely to an MS SQL Express rather than a MS SQL Full.

I could also thinking about switching to BES Express, but since we have a full license... Thanks again, knottyrope!

Guru III
My Device:

[ Edited ]

cortez_bdg wrote:

Just 40ish, so the DBMS itself shouldn't be a problem. I was concerned about the possibility to connect remotely to an MS SQL Express rather than a MS SQL Full.

I could also thinking about switching to BES Express, but since we have a full license... Thanks again, knottyrope!

40 is nothing for SQL express.

BES 5 express can not use the same database as full BES, they are different products.