Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q / Playbook
My Carrier: Siminn

Nature of connection / International roaming

I read somewhere here in the forum that when a BB10 handset is connected to a BDS, the activesync connection is encapsulated and goes through the Blackberry Network Operating Center (NOC), just like when using a BB7 handset against a BES5 server.

Is this correct?

My Telco provider is refusing to include the BB10 handsets in their fixed price international blackberry data roaming plans and state that the nature of the connection is not the same. This hase huge implications for us as we have many BB users traveling a lot.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q / Playbook
My Carrier: Siminn

Re: Nature of connection / International roaming

I have found out now, that the problem is that for BB10 handsets, the GPRS/3G traffic from the handset goes to the APN of the telco provider, rather than to blackberry.net and that the fixed price roaming data agreements are based on the traffic going through the blackberry.net handset. I.e.

BB10 -> Telco -> Internet -> My BDS (fixed price internationl data roaming NOT available)

BB7 -> Telco -> blackberry.net -> Internet -> My BDS (fixed price international data roaming available)

I live in Iceland and the only remaining Blackberry users here are executives that travel extensively. For them the fixed price international data roaming is a must. Without it they will just use their handset like iPhone users jumping from one wifi site to another with a lot of effort when traveling and / or managing a handfull of sim cards.

BB dropping the blackberry.net system from BB10 handsets is however because of good reasons; like web browsing / streaming speed and removing the risk of email blackouts because of system problems in the blackberry.net infrastructure, like the ones that we have seen once or twice historically.

For some users having the possibility of using the blackberrry.net infrastructure is however a must. I understand that is is possible to change the APN value in the handset programcally by apps dynamically so.... wouldn't it be great to have an app that would connect to the blackberry.net infrastructure for legacy access to email? It might even be possible to use the BIS infracture for this to control billing and provisioning...

What do you think?