Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8330
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Re: PLEASE HELP! - Company is reluctant to move to BES 10 - What else can I do?

Lets start from the begining here.

OLD WAY:

BES 5, it handled the EMAIL, calendar, etc throughput, as well as handled the SECURITY aspects of it.

NEW WAY:

Traveler only handles the ACTIVESYNC connection.. which is what will do your email, calendar, etc.
the BES 10, handles the security aspect.

Yes, the BES10 will set up your activesync connection as well for the device... but you CAN set it up that a BB10 connects to just the traveler to get mail, etc.. and not even ever have the BES10 and have no security setup, etc.

So for the security part,  you sort of NEED to have the BES10, if the other one will not provide the same level.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for the help everyone.

This all sounds good, and I agree that my issues are solved if I can get my IT guys to deploy BES 10. However, they are VERY reluctant to deploy it. They think BB is dead and don't want to waste the resources.

It sounds like if I can't get them to deploy BES 10 I'm pretty much SOL, as Mobile Iron / other items won't provide the security they want. Does anyone have experience with Touchdown? That is another security program our company has deployed, and I know Touchdown is listed in BlackBerry World.

If that's the case, are there any other options for me to get e-mail pushed to my device? As a complete fallback I could just use webmail, but that's incredibly stupid in this day and age.
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

Never used Touchdown on the BB10 sorry. Do you have the chance to show the device and to your bosses? Maybe you can contact a BlackBerry rep directly who can arrange a meeting with your bosses to show the strength of BB10 with BES10.
Sometimes it won't work going to IT directly, but via the managers.
------------------------------
Find more information about Enterprise Mobility Management at EMMAdmin.com
Contributor

Other than having the resources to RUN the BB10 server, remember to tell them there is really no cost involved in running it... you dont have to pay to license the server itself.. only the CALs which are free converted till the end of the year.

The BB10 supports activesync, and your normal POP/imap email connections, so as long as you can get access to it one of those ways, you can have email on it, regardless of the other security.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9800
My Carrier: t-mobile

GDkitty wrote:

Other than having the resources to RUN the BB10 server, remember to tell them there is really no cost involved in running it... you dont have to pay to license the server itself.. only the CALs which are free converted till the end of the year.

As far as I know this is not correct! Now it's free to trade in the your BES5 CALs. But they will expire after one year. And each year you have to pay for the CAL again.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

No, the trade up converts them to perpetual CALs. That means they are valid forever. But I have seen that after the tradeup, they are indeed only valid to March 2014, but Blackberry will convert them to perpetual licenses at the beginning of 2014. It is a bit a licensing mess at the moment, but eventually you will be fine.
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9800
My Carrier: t-mobile

Thx! Good to know.

Sorry to kidnap now this thread:
I traded in 10 BES5 CALs but they are now only for BES10 Devices not Apple or Android. Is this common?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

That's right. The BES5 free Tradeup is only for Blackberry devices. For Android and Apple, you need to buy CALs.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for the continued help guys.  I have run it up to my manager.  I have given him all the details and told him how everything is basically free (just need to spend the time to install, etc).  He is/was a huge BlackBerry fan and converted to ios kicking and screaming, so I think I have him in my corner.  He is running it with IT, and hope to have a determination by the end of the week.

If the IT person comes back and says "no, they're wrong, there's this cost, and that cost..." I'm simply going to give them the number to a rep at BlackBerry to dispel any misconceptions.

Thanks guys, hope this works out.

Contributor

Good luck! Smiley Very Happy

Unfortunately, im now un-subscribing from this thread...

At our work.. we are now being FORCED away from BB Smiley Sad  Our parrent company in the US, is sorta of heavy handing us to move over to iOS..

So all the preliminary work, to set up all the new BB stuff is for naught... we wont be able to even use the UDS part, as our mail is being moved over to a cloud based service and not local.

Oh well.  Good luck everyone, and i still support BB Smiley Happy