Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Server giving MSEXchangeCDO eventID 1639 and not allowing BB phones to activate

Well the hard part is I didn't set this server(s) up. I setup an express 5 BES for a different facility and thats working great, and I understand how that one works. But this is our main companies BB server and we have the Core unit (02) which runs all the activation, exchange and sync'ing BB services, and an management server that does the front end (03). A few week ago, I had a user tell me they couldn't join a replacement BB to the server. I removed the user and they kept trying. It would go to a x% then just halt, even left it for hours and it didn't further. No errors were showing up on 03 management server. Then not believing they were doing it right, I deleted my account and tried to activate my phone, in which I got the same result of it halting on a x%. So I then find out server 02 runs the main components, log into that and find tons of errors in the event log. Under application events, I was getting the BB sync service failed and started errors every few minutes. The main error now is, MSExchangeCDO event ID 1639: [quote]The description for Event ID ( 1639 ) in Source ( MSExchangeCDO ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; [/quote]

I get that about every 5 minutes. To fix the issue for the user above, I rebooted the server and all our phones sync'd like normal....but then the errors continued and I'm back to square one with the error and same issue of phones not activating.

I checked the CDO dll and thats registered and  is version: 6.5.7654.12. The issue I have is that the "CDO" package from MS isn't installed, but instead an "Microsoft Exchange" installed, but gives no information about it. I assume that has the "cdo" install? On our exchange server (exchange 2003) it has the same exchange install package.

I checked the sql connection and that works, checked the java install and thats registered properly as well. All current BB phones work fine and don't have issues doing anything.  I've searched and read through threads of similar issue, seems reinstalling the CDO pack with the services disabled sometimes can fix it, but I'm slightly nervous to uninstall the exchange install.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Server giving MSEXchangeCDO eventID 1639 and not allowing BB phones to activate

This looks like a MAPI-specific error code.

What version of Microsoft Exchange?

If it's Exchange 2003 SP2 or higher (and it should be from your MAPI version) then you're OK with updating MAPI and CDO to the latest version, which is 6.5.8165.0. 

See this article for steps: KB15779

After you update MAPI and CDO, deleted and re-create your MAPI profile with these steps: KB10285

If you are hesitant with updating MAPI and CDO (it does require your Exchange installation media so that you can rip out ESM) then just try the steps in the second article above.  It could simply be a corrupt MAPI profile and those steps will fix that.  Personally, I would update MAPI.  The version that you are using has several known issues which were addressed in later versions.

Regular Contributor

Re: Server giving MSEXchangeCDO eventID 1639 and not allowing BB phones to activate

I am thinking that may be it. Did see on the exchange server someone did updates last month, but the exchange updates do not have dates, only windows ones do. I did windows updates yesterday, am going to check exchange updates but today I am not getting sync errors but still these ones:

ExchangeConnector eventid 2000 errors: [BIPPe] WARNING: Using default BIPP shared secret. that is after the library was started.

DevMgmtConnector eventid 2000: {NotifyDatabase} : DBNS component is not installed.

- we do have the db on a different server so I'm not sure if this one is valid.

After a reboot I had a user try to re-activate a phone and its still failing with this:

BlackBerry Synchronization Service eventid 26043: SYNC-DSession] Responded INVALID_SYNC_STATE to the device and terminated session.

If I uninstall the exchange system manager from the BES, and install the CDO. I don't have to install the CDO on the exchange server do I? I thought it just required a hot fix and SP2 on the exchange server side.

Regular Contributor

Well I'm going to uninstall the current exchange system manager and put the CDO 1.2.1 on.  I'll update on how this goes....

Trusted Contributor

ESM removal and MAPI/CDO update is only required on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  No update to Exchange should be necessary.

Regular Contributor

Ok so I removed exchange system and installed the CDO 1.2.1. The only issue is now the CDO.DLL and MAPI32.DLL are now higher version on the BES than the exchange. I'd rather not touch the Exchange server as it hosts 16 sites emails. Can I just unregister the new dll's and then register the older dll's from exchange on the BES? I read you could....but not sure how well that will work.

Trusted Contributor

No, you can't do this manually at all.  You have to install the software.

It won't matter that they are not the exact same versions.  It is only required that MAPI and CDO be the same version or higher within compatible Exchange platforms.  5.5, 2000, and 2003 are compatible.  2003 SP2, 2007, and 2010 are compatible. You won't have a problem.

Regular Contributor

BoldOperator wrote:

No, you can't do this manually at all.  You have to install the software.

It won't matter that they are not the exact same versions.  It is only required that MAPI and CDO be the same version or higher within compatible Exchange platforms.  5.5, 2000, and 2003 are compatible.  2003 SP2, 2007, and 2010 are compatible. You won't have a problem.

Ah ok. My exchange is 2003 SP2 w/ some patches installed. My BES is 5.0.1.

BES CDO.DLL 6.5.8165.0

BES MAPI32.dll  1.0.2536.0

Which are both the same in that link to update exchange manager to CDO 1.2.1.

Exchange 2003 mapi32.dll 6.5.7654.12

cdo. dll  6.5.7654.12

Ok but those should work as the BES has higher versions than exchange 2003 sp2. But now I'm getting new errors on the BES:

BlackBerry Messaging Agent SISU-BES02 Agent 4:

event id 20154

User X, name. not started

Then an event id 20400 error MAPIMailbox::MAPIMailbox - OpenMsgStore (0x8004011d) failed

Also when I try to go to edit mapi settings in the BB config, if I delete a letter off the end of the server or user name (blackberry service account and our mail server). It cannot resolve the black berry admin user account.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have seen a couple cases where CDO 1.2.1 does not work well with BES and Exchange 2003 SP2

I have seen that using on BES, ESM for 2003,  applying SP2 and then running microsoft update (knot windows update) after fixes the issue.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor

knottyrope wrote:

I have seen a couple cases where CDO 1.2.1 does not work well with BES and Exchange 2003 SP2

I have seen that using on BES, ESM for 2003,  applying SP2 and then running microsoft update (knot windows update) after fixes the issue.

Well I setup a BES 5 express for a site, installed CDO 1.2.1 and they had an exchange 2003 SP2 and had no issue. This system at my work was setup by an outside vendor. They did the ESM install method and it worked for a year or 2. Now something happened and of course no other network analyst admits to installing updates, but it seems at least windows updates were installed last month.

Does the BES with ESM need the same Exchange patches and security updates as the Exchange 2003 server? There were only two exchange patches installed to the BES, both from 2006 and the exchange server didn't have any newly released ones, but older ones could of been applied I suppose.