Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

Specify new device password doesn't work when the device is locked and content protection is enabled

I'm having problems with the "Specify new device password and lock device" option when a device is locked.  It just doesn't seem to work.

If I use the option when a device is unlocked, the device receives the "your administrator has changed your password" message within seconds - the password is changed and the device is locked as it should be.

If, however, I use the option when a device is locked, the password never gets changed and the "your administrator has changed your password" message is never received.

The most likely time I want to use the option is when a user has forgotten their password (something that happens frequently!) so the device will be locked.  The only way I've found around it so far is to wipe the device and then reactivate it which is rather time consuming.

Should the "specify new device password" option work when it is locked?  Is there a better way of unlocking the device if someone has forgotten their password?  Content protection is enabled if that makes any difference.

BES is 5.0.1 for Domino.

Devices are all Bold 9700 with the 5.0.0.593 firmware.

TIA

Julie

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Specify new device password doesn't work when the device is locked and content protection is enabled

For the device in question do you know if the radio is turned on and it has a good signal? I've only seen it not work when the radio was off and the device didn't have a signal. Or when the device was locked  AND the radio is off. In those circumstances I had the user make an emergency call just to get the radio on, then it worked.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor

Re: Specify new device password doesn't work when the device is locked and content protection is enabled

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the radio is on and there's full signal strength.  I know for sure because I've tried it no end of times on my own device.

I can unlock the device and set a new password with no issues.  Bu then if I lock it and try it again later (in exactly the same location) it just doesn't work.

When it's locked it never, ever works.

Julie

Elite I

Sorry missed the content protection part. If you turn it off does it work? Or is it on via an IT Policy?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Contributor

It's on as part of an IT policy.

Julie

Elite I

Just found this article that describes that you're referring to

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB20451

Looks like it has to do with Content Protection being turned on.

Contributor

Thanks for finding that technote but unless I'm reading the following paragraph wrong, it sounds to me as though it should work?

"Set Password and Lock Handheld: On BlackBerry smartphones that are running BlackBerry Device Software version 4.3 and later, the administrator can reset the BlackBerry smartphone password using the BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.1 SP5 or later. The BlackBerry Enterprise Solution uses the remote password reset cryptographic protocol to reset the BlackBerry smartphone password when content protection is turned on. BlackBerry smartphones that are running BlackBerry Device Software version 4.5 and later do not prompt the user for the old BlackBerry smartphone password."

My devices are running 5.0.0.593 and the BES is 5.0.1 so it sounds to me as though it should work using the "remote password reset cryptographic protocol"? 

Julie

Elite I

[ Edited ]

I don't have access to one right now to test it but I was reading the following sentance as meaning the users won't get the password prompt

"BlackBerry smartphones that are running BlackBerry Device Software version 4.5 and later do not prompt the user for the old BlackBerry smartphone password"

Nevermind. I think i read it wrong the first time. It sounds like it should work. To test can you create an IT Policy with content protection off and test it?

Contributor

Hello again

If the device is unlocked, you get a message saying "your administrator has changed your password" message.  You can then unlock it using the new password so I read that as meaning that at one point you had to enter the old password before you could use the new one.

It would seem a bit daft prompting for the old password - I would imagine that you're resetting it because the old one has been forgotten!!

Julie

Elite I

Right. When I used it it just prompts to input the reset password. Someone was going to test it but that'll have to wait a bit. What about the IT Policy thing? Can you test with that or no?