Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

My Device: Not Specified

Storage Sizing - BES 5.0 and Exchange 2007

I'm currently in the process of verifing a storage sizing for our new Exchange 2007 plant. In reguards to BES 4.1 and Exchange 2007, it appears a consensus has been reached - and even Microsoft recommends 3.64 IOPs per Blackberry Device.

Looking at the performance guide for BES 5.0 , RIM recommends 1.44 IOPs per Blackberry device - though EMC, MS, DELL are all telling me to be on the safe side and plan for 3.64 IOPs. There is a rather significant difference in cost of disk between 1.44 IOPs and 3.64 IOPs to support the plant of this size.

Does anyone have some real world #'s to share with BES 5.0 and Exchange 2007 , and/or any advice. I'm looking to the experts in this community to give me the warm and fuzzy feeling that RIM's 1.44 IOPs number is 'ok' to use, even though it is 1/3 of the tried and true guidance of the past.

Thanks in advance,

Mike S

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Storage Sizing - BES 5.0 and Exchange 2007

I would go woth Microsoft's recommendations and not RIM's.  Not that I don't like RIM, but their estimate seems to be on the low end.  I've seen a BES server crush an exchange server, and its not pretty.