Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: V5 upgrade path - New server

We just moved from a physical server running 4.1.17 to a virtual server running 5.0.

Once you have the new server up and running (new or temp SRP) you can use the Blackberry Enterprise Trasporter (located in the resourse kit) to move your users from one server to another.  This was nice beacuse it move EVERYONE without having to touch their devices and reauthorize them on the new server.  I moved 20 users and it took about 15 minutes to complete everything.

Here is the link to the tool;

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/server_resourcekit.jsp

I hope this helps.

Contributor

So you did not have to move the cals manually. The transporter did that for you?
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I dont think transporter would do that.

CALs are not locked to a user, they are pooled.

How would transporter know how to transfer over a 100 user CAL for one user?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

If we install 5 on a new server with new srp, move the cals and create a new remote sql db will the transporter move the users to the new config db?

Also we have 3 BES 4.6 servers. Must we setup the 5 server in a new Bes domain if we plan to move the users off each server in a phased approach. How might this impact the users? The transporter and upgrade guide do not explain user impact well.

Thanks

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

rraforbes wrote:

If we install 5 on a new server with new srp, move the cals and create a new remote sql db will the transporter move the users to the new config db? YES

Also we have 3 BES 4.6 servers. Must we setup the 5 server in a new Bes domain if we plan to move the users off each server in a phased approach. How might this impact the users? The transporter and upgrade guide do not explain user impact well.

Only about 3 min for a mini activation that the user needs to do nothing

Thanks

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

When installing the transporter - Is it installed on the new server or the old.. I aaume the new because you d/l the resource kit specific to the BES version
Contributor

I have inherited the BES environment.. Currently looking to order more cals. Right now the 4 environment warns me that I do not have enough cals but still runs. Will bes 5 do the same so I can run it while I get the cal pricing and order them
Guru III
My Device:

Never tried that in BES 5.0.

Contributor

Does not seem to matter...  

Has anyone run into this issue..  Installed BES v5.. Installation asks for cal but SRP grayed out so cannot be entered. After install it did not ask for reboot but we rebooted anyway. Logged onto BAS went to 

1. Open the BlackBerry Administration Service.
  2. In the BlackBerry Administration Service, on the Servers and components menu, expand BlackBerry Solution topology> BlackBerry Domain > Component view > BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
  3. Click the name of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
  4. Click Edit instance
But no where does it ask for the SRP.. Not anywhere to be found..

Highlighted
New Contributor

i got a 90 temp srp from rim - so i installed 5 on a new server - new database - entered the new srp - then i copied over the licences from 4.1 to 5.0 - you can do this either manually or export them from the old server to a file and import them to the new server - i did it manually --i had the same question about the transported tool - where do you install it?

it actually can be installed on the new server or on a different computer, as long as this computer is in the same domain - segment. i installed it on a laptop - moved users ok - i also installed it on the new server and it worked ok also. didnt try installing it on the old server 4.1.

a few weeks later i had some hardware issues with the new server 5.0 so i used the transporter tool (from the laptop) to move back the users to 4.1 - it worked out great -

so now i am doing everything all over again - i guess it is a good practice this way - lol - as long as the transporter tool work as before, i should be ok.

i am not so sold yet on the new interface (bas), it seems to be a bit too crowed and not as user friendly as the old interface. also the server seems to be more resource intensive compared to 4.1 - well, maybe this time around the server stays up longer so i can play around with it some more.