Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: 9810
My Carrier: Bell

What a software!

[ Edited ]

Brand new installation on a brand new virtual server. Yet all kinds of problems. And the support is so limited. While I guess it explains why RIM is going down hill. I"m giving up on it.

Contributor
My Device: did have a BlackBerry Storm 2
My Carrier: Telstra

Re: What a software!

[ Edited ]

My install was similar to yours, in that it was new VM on a new virtual host, and I didn't really encounter any major issues at all.

Would you like to post some particulars and maybe I can help.

Contributor
My Device: None.
My Carrier: Sprint

[ Edited ]

19 days into the install... totally agree.

After working with this kind of stuff over the last 15 years, this is the worst product I have seen by far.

With the worst support.

Every time I call support, I get someone reading from a prompt, pointing me to pages on the installation guide that have nothing to do with the issues I'm experiencing.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is funny... this forum post used to be called "What a < Content Removed> software!" and was just changed (a few minutes ago) to read "What a software!"

Seriously, RIM?

Contributor
My Device: did have a BlackBerry Storm 2
My Carrier: Telstra

Once again, how about listing some specific issue you are experiencing.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

After 21 days of troubleshooting (daily with Blackberry/RIM, about 4 hours per day), the fix was to completely hack out the software from the server. I worked with someone yesterday who actually knew what they were talking about, and he walked me through the incredibly long task of removing Mobile Fusion from this server and starting over. He mentioned he is doing this proceedure a lot lately because of the issues RIM is having with Mobile Fusion. He mentioned an SP1 in the future that will fix some of the installation/uninstallation issues.

The only way this system will work is if you have a clean installation of Universal Device Service. If you have ever started installing any of the modules, and it failed or you hit the cancel button at any time, the software is basically ruined on your server and you need to start from scratch. Either wipe the server again (recommended), or follow the instructions below for hacking out the software from your server. It is about 3 times faster just to wipe your server and start from scratch.

After 21 days of trouble, my recommendation is to not even consider using the Mobile Fusion Studio module (use BES to manage your Blackberries), and only install "Mobile Fusion Studio - Universal Device Service." The helpful rep at RIM/Blackberry said he actually doesn't like the idea of having all of the modules on one server, and that UDS and Mobile Fusion Studio should be installed on different servers. If you do the math right, that's a minimum of 3 servers you will need in order to support smartphones. 1 server dedicated to managing Blackberry devices (BES), 1 server dedicated to managing iPhones, Androids, tablets, etc., and 1 server dedicated to managing Blackberry devices through Mobile Fusion Studio.... just typing this makes it sound rediculous. Save yourself the trouble and don't use Mobile Fusion Studio. Only use BMFS Universal Device Service. If you are using Blackberry tablets, you will need a 4th server in order to manage Blackberry Device Service, which cannot be installed onto the same server as those above.

And make sure you have a 3rd party signed certificate prior to starting anything with Universal Device Service. This signed certificate needs to point to a publicly available domain name (e.g. mdm.company.com). Self-signed certificates will not work.

If you're interested, here's how to hack out the software from your server so that you can start fresh:

<Removed incomplete instructions.  UDS should always be uninstalled through add/remove programs.  If you start manually removing pieces you will end up in a state where the installer can't complete>

My Device: various
My Carrier: Verizon

Interesting your comment "Only use BMFS Universal Device Service. If you are using Blackberry tablets, you will need a 4th server in order to manage Blackberry Device Service, which cannot be installed onto the same server as those above."  I'm new and designing a test deployment and per page 7 of the Universal_Device_service-Feature_and_Technical_Overview document architecture for installation on one computer it shows only needing one computer for the UDS service to allow for configuration/communication to IOS and android devices.  Additionally, I found that it states that I can install UDS services and Mobile Fusion services on the same computer.   Is Blackberry wrong on their documentation?

Contributor

According to the techs at RIM/Blackberry currently troubleshooting issues with this product (I've worked with 4 separate reps now to get my system running), they are frowning on the idea, even though the setup guide mentions everything can be on one server. Since BES and Mobile Fusion cannot be on the same server, I would highly recommend continuing to use BES to manage any Blackberry devices (unless you have a spare server), and only install/use Universal Device Service to manage iPhone and Android products.

My Device: various
My Carrier: Verizon

Can you provide a CASE number that you are working on.  I want to call into BES to confirm that their technical support is indicating this as it absolutely plays into the design of my environment.

BlackBerry Employee
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

To clear up some confusion here the BlackBerry Mobile Fusion console absolutely can be run on the UDS/BDS/BAS servers.

The BlackBerry Mobile Fusion console by default attempts to install using port 443.  With a Universal Device Services server this port will likely already be in use by the Communication website.  This just means that you have to pick a different open port.