Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

What are the differences between BES & BES Express?

Is there a list of differences between the functionality of BES 5.0 & BES 5.0 Express? I know that the amount of users that express can handle is less. However I would like to know what you can do in the FULL version compared to the express, thanks.

Mike

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: What are the differences between BES & BES Express?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

BES Express 5 press release
http://press.rim.com/release.jsp?id=3546

About BES Express 5

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/business/server/express/

Any of the following operating systems:
• Windows Server® 2003 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Windows Server 2008 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Windows® Small Business Server 2003
• Windows Small Business Server 2008

Free SRP, yes FREE!
Free 10000 CALs (2k per server) again FREE!
BIS or BES dataplan will work on it.
MAX 75 users when installed on the exchange server.
only 35 IT policies (remote wipe included) More now with SP2
Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010 suppoted

BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry curve
My Carrier: Vodafone AU

Hello KnottyRope,

It looks like you know exactly what your talking about when it comes to black berry. Can you add me on skype please ? I have some questions in regards to setting up my BES Server. Thank you. 

Guru III
My Device:

send me a dm or ask here

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

Okay well basically this is what i am trying to do. I am trying to setup my own PGP BB server with BES. I can source my own BES simcards from my country and i am planning to rent 3 dedicated servers 2 windows exchange 1 Linux. 

Basically i am trying to work out what will my initial costs be per handset if a handset is costing me $300 for the handset itself not including the CAL's. 

I was talking to a guy from Mexico and he told me that i would need 1 dedicated server for each handset !?!?!? This sounds obsurd. Also, He told me that the difference between BES & BES express is that if i were to use BES express it would leave my clients at risk of accidentely sending plain-text messages along with less IT Policy options. He also told me that Symantec PGP is not a one time cost. 

I need someone who knows what they are talking about and someone who actually wants to help instead of try to convince me that it's too hard and that i should just be a re-seller for them. I have even offered to pay for this advice if need be.

Guru III
My Device:

kojimasec wrote:

Okay well basically this is what i am trying to do. I am trying to setup my own PGP BB server with BES. I can source my own BES simcards from my country and i am planning to rent 3 dedicated servers 2 windows exchange 1 Linux. 

Basically i am trying to work out what will my initial costs be per handset if a handset is costing me $300 for the handset itself not including the CAL's. 

I was talking to a guy from Mexico and he told me that i would need 1 dedicated server for each handset !?!?!? This sounds obsurd. Also, He told me that the difference between BES & BES express is that if i were to use BES express it would leave my clients at risk of accidentely sending plain-text messages along with less IT Policy options. He also told me that Symantec PGP is not a one time cost. 

I need someone who knows what they are talking about and someone who actually wants to help instead of try to convince me that it's too hard and that i should just be a re-seller for them. I have even offered to pay for this advice if need be.

I dont know about PGP and BES Express being supported.

you dont need a dedicated server for each user, it can run a 1000 with no issue.

BES 5.x could be free from you carrier if you get about 20 devices. I would talk to your carrier to see if such a deal exists.

BES isnt that hard, but can be if you dont follow the manual. permission in exchange can be the biggest hurdle as most people never deal with them.

New Contributor

Hi guys, 

I'm not sure if this i am allowed to say that i would re-imburse someone for their help, However i would like someone to join me in setting up my BES/PGP server with Windows exchange anyone with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: 8000
My Carrier: something

Send us a reply we would be able to help you out...