Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Reply
New Member
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-18-2010
My Device: Not Specified

Why does BES upgrade attempt SQL Server upgrade when it's already the right version?

I am trying to resolve a commonly documented issue discussed elsewhere on these forums when trying to update license information for BES 5.0 which results in the following error message when clicking on the BlackBerry Administration Service:

 

The application has encountered a system error. Please report this error to the System Administrator. (EXCEPTION-com.rim.bes.bas.servicemanager.ServiceNotFoundException)

 

I have tried the various LDAP and other fixes to no avail. Since we're running 5.0.0.137, I thought upgrading to SP2 would be the best course of action. One of the things this upgrade path does along the way is upgrade SQL Server 2005 to SP3. Since this process failed repeatedly, I decided to upgrade SQL Server myself to SP3, which was successful. Figuring this would address the dependency, I reinitiated the BES SP2 upgrade. However, the upgrade STILL attempted to upgrade SQL Server, which was already the version BES wanted! And it failed again, nevertheless. 

 

How do I address this problem, and why is it trying to upgrade something that is already the right version?

 

Thanks!

 

Sean

New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-22-2010
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Why does BES upgrade attempt SQL Server upgrade when it's already the right version?

Hi Sean

 

We've had the the same problems upgrading from 5.0.1MR3 to 5.0.2.  Have managed to upgrade all the servers but cannot access the Administration Service from the Components view and cannot login using AD authentication.

 

Initially when the AD authentication wouldn't work, I tried uninstalling the BES software from one of the BES servers but then when I went to reinstall 5.0.2 I kept getting an SQL error - when I checked the logs, the problem was caused by a column called WLOCK in the MDS table of the mdsis database - the install process was trying to create the WLOCK column and couldn't because it already existed.  I renamed the column to OLDWLOCK and the install completed.

 

Obviously renaming SQL tables isn't something you want to take lightly but in this case it worked.  The new column was populated with exactly the same information as the old.

 

I'm going to try a full install of 5.0.2 tomorrow (as opposed to just the upgrade version) to see if this fixes the AD authentication issue and the BAS Component view too - will let you know how I go.

 

Cheers, Karla