Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 8520 Curve
My Carrier: Smart
Accepted Solution

1st time BB user

Hi guys,

I'm a first time user so I have a lot of questions on this BB Curve. I bought a secondhand Curve and I have no idea how to set this phone (only bought the model, it has no manuals and accessories). Here are my questions and thanks in advance to those who can answer:

1. My IP address is 0.0.0.0 - I can connect to the WiFi network but I can't browse the web

2. If I setup/create a bb id here, can I use it on my handheld?

3. What does a memory wipe exactly wipe and will a memory wipe affect my SIM card/BBM id as well? 

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: 1st time BB user

Hi Alex121289

Welcome aboard BlackBerry family and Community  Smiley Happy

At first I would like you visit  BlackBerry 101 and manual BlackBerry Curve - Manuals and Guides in getting started 

Secondly if you bought a used device from any of your friend or any online shop then it is always advices to perform a security wipe to remove anything associated with that previous user . You can refer to this KB Article for help :

KB28225 : BlackBerry smartphone must be security wiped before transferring ownership

Regarding your queries :

1 . Few Carrier need some short of data plan even to browse internet even over wifi. So aske your Carrier if you need some sort of data plan in your account

2 . You can create a new BlackBerry ID on BlackBerry ID website which you can use it on your device , refer to this KB :

KB24062 :  How to create a BlackBerry ID

3 . If you perform a Security wipe on your device it will remove all user Installed application , Email accounts and also your Memory card if you include memory card while doing a security wipe. Yes it will remove the BlackBerry ID that is previously associated with that device , after a wipe you can use a new BlackBerry ID or the same that you're using before , but a security wipe has nothing to do with your SIM card .

However ... With your query 1 " unable to browse internet " . As  you bought that device used , in some cases if your device has some IT policy then IT may prevent  browser so my suggestion .. Rather then performing a security wipe you should reset your device to factory setting , doing this will remove any IT policy and help in resolving your issue.

KB31291 :  How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

let us know if you have any further queries.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
My Device: 8520 Curve
My Carrier: Smart

Thanks prince2012, looks like this wouldn't be easier than I thought it would be. I'll just write down my BBM contacts first before doing a wipe, I was able to use my carrier's data for BBM-ing
Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Hi alex,

Don't worry... while doing If you encounter any problem then share with us , we'll try to help.

Redarding BBM contacts backup, If you're having BBM7 or higher then your BBM Contacts are integrated with your BlackBerry ID , when you login with your same BlackBerry ID your Contacts will be restored back , but if you're having any previous persion then first do a local backup , you can do a backup in your Media card, refer to this KB for further help

KB20554 : How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.