Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: giffgaff

2 months old, screen dead, shop closed down!

Hi All,

I wonder if someone can help.

For my daughter's birthday I bought her a Blackberry Torch from (what appeared to be) a busy ebay shop (thousands of previous happy shoppers, 98.9%, based in UK etc etc).

2 months later the phone's screen has stopped responding and I find that the ebay shop has closed !!

I have taken the phone to a reputable repair shop and they swapped both the cable and the screen, but nothing.  It still fails to work.

I am now at a loss as to what to do.  Surely I have some comeback to RIM, but I can't see anyway to approach them.

Any thoughts?

Glen

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10-STL100-4
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 2 months old, screen dead, shop closed down!

I don't either. Having eBay in the middle means you bought a used phone?
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 2 months old, screen dead, shop closed down!

Hello 5greenfamily5,

You are in a pickle of a situation indeed. Technically warranty is provided by RIM, through the authorized reseller channels, to the original purchaser of the brand new device. But RIM does nothing to service any warranty directly...all warranty is serviced by those authorized resellers, who can escalate into RIM if necessary. So, if the eBay shop you bought from was an authorized reseller AND you bought it truly brand new from them, then they (the eBay shop) are your warranty service entity...which is where your problem really get's difficult, since they shut down.

When you purchased, you should have received documentation about your warranty provisions and methods of seeking warranty support. In some locations, it could also (besides the original place of purchase) be the mobile service provider or an authorized service center...it varies by region, so we can't tell you what your provisions are...your original purchase documentation will have that information. If that documentation covers this case (of your eBay shop closing down), then you should follow whatever it is that documentation tells you to do.

If, on the other hand, this BB was not brand new to you and/or the eBay shop was not an authorized reseller, then you indeed have no warranty at all.

There is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing the contract you signed upon purchase. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

There also might be some good reading here:

But, all in all, from your description, I might not hold out much hope for receiving any warranty coverage on this device.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................