Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: virgin
Accepted Solution

2 phones registered to the same email addy for bbid causing bbm problems

i had a bb curve 8520 which i passed to my daughter as i got a curve 9320. when i set up the new phone i used the same email as i had on the 8520. Afew days ago i upgraded bbm and so did my daughter. Some how her contacts then appeared on my phone n bbm doesnt work on her 8520. the icon is ther it says installed but doesnt work. I called virgin who said they have sorted it and bbm should be back after 24 hrs but its not. How can i fix this?

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: 2 phones registered to the same email addy for bbid causing bbm problems

Hello ladychelle

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

In BBM 7 our BBM Contacts are stored with our BlackBerry ID , as you upgrade to 9320 you should have wiped your old device and let your daughter use her own BlackBerry ID before handover  .

Have your daughter performed a backup of her device including her  BBM contacts before Updating it to BBM7 ? If she have then perform a Security wipe and add a new BlackBerry ID on your old 8520: 

KB14058 : How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option.

Once its is done before updating BBM on 8520 , restore all contacts including BBM contacts on your 8520, then from your BlackBerry Browser browse to www.blackberry.com/bbm to download the recent version of BBM on your 8520.

Try it and let us know if you feel any problem.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

i cant find the security option. when i go to hoe screen>options it then shows home screen preferences theme,wallpaper,layout,download folder,theme defaults

Elite II

ladychelle wrote:

i cant find the security option. when i go to hoe screen>options it then shows home screen preferences theme,wallpaper,layout,download folder,theme defaults

Hello ladychelle

On which device you are trying a security wipe ?  

If you want to perform a security wipe on your Curve 8520 then :

For BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0

1. From the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Options > Security Options >Security Wipe.
  2. Select the appropriate check boxes to remove data and applications as intended.
  3. Type blackberry, and click Wipe.

Or let us know what you're trying .

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

i have done a security wipe, how do i set up email , bbm and blackberry id.  i tried options>blackberry id and it says 'unable to update BBID account info while offline. pleas advice what to do next

Elite II

Hi ladychelle

Yes you have to delete all in this process a you're going to use a New BlackBerry ID on your old device otherwise it will not allow , but in this process remove the media card , because I am not sure if you have your Backup or of your BBM contacts ,As you had not replied to my question regarding Backup . if your daughter while using previous ver. of BBM had done a local backup of her BBM Contacts , then it might be useful.Or if she have any media files .

So try it  and this time include all,. Look at this KB on how to create a BlackBerry ID , Once you create a new BBID use it on your device . KB24062 How to create a BlackBerry ID

Go ahead and let us know if you feel any problem. 

New Contributor

ok, so now i have done a security wipe on the contacts, the phone started up with instructions as it does when it is new. i have opened a blackberry id for this phone. when i go to options>blackberry id i get the message 'unable to update blackberry id account info while offline.

when i click bbm it says 'an error occured with blackberry id'

can you help with this please

Elite II

Hello ladychelle

I assume you already have BIS on both of your devices , So first restart your device by removing the battery while your device is Powered On , wait for a min then re-insert it back .after reboot please check if it allows , 

If problem persists then register your handheld over your carrier network , for help refer to this KB :

KB00510 : How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network 

( will recieve a registration message in your message box)  After recieving perform another battery pull restart , then try it again.

New Contributor

thank ou for all the help, problems now solved Smiley Happy
Elite II

Hey ladychelle

That's Great ... Cheers !

Now , restore your Contacts including those BBM contacts from those backup files , don't restore any application , after getting all Contacts you can update BlackBerry Messenger on your Curve 8520 using the link already provided.

Good luck  and enjoy Smiley Happy