Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telstra

3G SIM Card whilst visiting USA

I live in Australia and have a SIM Card from the national carrier Telstra. I will be visiting the USA in July for 4 weeks and looking to see how I can secure a card that I can use whilst over there. I want to keep in touch with emails back in OZ and also have phone availability if required. Ideally would be great if able to purchase in advance before I leave. Any suggestions on what the best options are would be appreciated. Tony

Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 3G SIM Card whilst visiting USA

Your 9700 in the US is only compatible for 3G service with AT&T (you can use a Tmobile SIM, but only get EDGE).

However, using an ATT sim will only get you voice and text with a prepaid SIM. For email and data, you will need to subscribe to ATT's BIS Data Plan, similar to what you have back home on Telstra. ATT won't do that for one month (you could subscribe and cancel), but the easiest way for data will be to get a Telstra International Data Plan. Check that out as an option.

Your 9700 from Telstra will need to be 'unlocked" to work on a carrier other than Telstra. For an unlock code, call Telstra and tell them you will be traveling internationally and need the device unlocked. They should give you the MEP code for free.

If not, pay an unlocking vendor for the code. Check out unlocks.berryreview.com for a reputable vendor.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: q10
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: 3G SIM Card whilst visiting USA

AT&T would be great for your visit it has all the convincing features like good coverage area!!!suitable plan for internet and text msgs,phone calls everything and it is most trustworthy!!!!!