Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

403 Forbidden (missing Blackberry Browser?)

[ Edited ]

I've been struggling with this problem ever since I got my Blackberry.

I'm with Telus, and I understand that Telus likes to block a lot of 3rd party downloads just because they feel like being mean to their clients. I'm sure there's a workaround, I just can't seem to figure out what it is. Foe example; Telus will not let you download the Facebook on Blackberry application from the Facebook website. You'll get a 403 Forbidden error. You can only download the Facebook application from the Blackberry.com website.

When I try and download an application from ANY other site except Blackberry or Telus directly, I get a 403 Forbidden error. After doing a bit of research (and trust me, I've done a lot), I discovered that I may be able to get past it if I use a different browser. So I switched browsers (I only have Telus WAP Browser and "Internet Browser" in my options), and found that I wasn't getting the 403 Forbidden error, but that whatever site I was trying to download from was telling me I needed to visit the download page from the Blackberry Browser - which I don't seem to have.

So, I connected to my desktop manager and went through the applications hoping that there was a "Blackberry Browser" there that had just been uninstalled, and I've surfed through the downloads page here on Blackberry.com - all to no avail.

I am DESEPERATE for a Twitter application (I was trying to download orangatame.com/ota/twitterberry) and since neither Telus nor Blackberry have created one yet (which I find VERY odd, come on, RIM!) I need to workaround this stupid Telus thing to get one.

A very frustrated user,

Message Edited by sandra_g on 02-23-2009 11:47 AM
New Contributor

Re: 403 Forbidden (missing Blackberry Browser?)

I am struggling with similar issue. I only have the Telus WAP Browser. I can't change that option. I have no idea how to get 'Internet Browser'. Any ideas?

go here:

set up an account

go to service books

and send the browser to your phone

I don't know how to solve the Forbidden 403 message (I"m having the same issue myself) but I do know how to add a twitter program without having to access OTA and just upload it through your Desktop Manager through the application loader.  Try Blackbird. and you can download the .cod and .alx files here http://dossy.org/twitter/blackbird/

The only drawback vs twitterberry is that it doesn't show the images for the different users.  But it works like a charm.  And I'm going to keep checking for a way around this Forbidden 403 error.  I've heard that Opera mini is an excellent browser for Blackberry and I'm going to try that.  I'll keep you posted.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

make sure you have a blackberry data plan and your carrier has added browsing to your account.

clean cache and cookies in your browser

if the browser still doesnt show up, u may need to install your device software to your PC and load it to through DTM, selecting the check box for browser

Also if you are on a BES, yout IT admins may have removed or blocked it