Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

8100 as an Analog Modem (Dialup Networking)

I have searched high & low for a resolution to this, but keep coming up empty.

I have successfully figured out the tethering with the carrier (AT&T) internet connection using *99#.

But I want to be able to use the phone as a standard analog modem so that I can dialup to a real 10-digit number.

This is important because some of our customers still use route-finders which use a telephone line, and they are not using VPN's.

I have tried creating a basic connection to utilize the  Standard Modem created when the Blackberry is installed;  it dials, and you can hear the modem tones through the phone, but it never even gets to the user/password portion of the connection, and eventually just times out.

This will be my last stop, as I have posted on blackberryforums.com and blackberry.pinstack.com about this.  I am losing hope in this.  I just don't know how so many other phones out there are capable of this, and the Pearl isn't!Smiley Indifferent 

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: 8100 as an Analog Modem (Dialup Networking)

Check with the carrier if they support dialup data transmissions on their GSM network, if so ask what is the baud rate supported and set this in the modem properties.

Also, a good way to test this would be to test the same SIM in a dialup configuration with a standard GSM phone that supports GSM dialup eg. Nokia/SonyEricsson/Motorola/etc

6 years experience with Australia's Biggest Telco
RIM Certified:
BCCSA (2002)
BCCSA2 (2003)
BCTA (2004)
BCTA40 (2005)
BCSA241BIS (2006)
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 8100 as an Analog Modem (Dialup Networking)

OK, it just seems that I'm half-way there, since I can get it to dial (and hear modem tones), but not connect.