Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9700
My Carrier: wind

8220 missing appworld

Hello, I am having a small problem with my 8220 and I hope someone can help!  Recently I switched to 9700, and I am using 8220 as a second - personal phone (prepaid -NO DATA PLAN). I decided to update it to the latest os for 8220 and after the update, the appworld was gone. So, after searching older threads about it,  I went to m.blackberry.com to download it again, using wi fi connection. But the  browser gives me a message "cannot find requested server"..I updated the software again, performed security wipe, battery pulled.. nothing works. I m pretty sure I m doing something wrong... 

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 8220 missing appworld

Hello,

On some BB models/OS levels (typically, 5.x and below), there can be no native internet access of any kind via the device as the native browser requires Service Books to function, and those are only delivered to BBs that are properly registered on the carrier network. What I surmise is that, when you did that update, the Service Books and other registration information (e.g., HRT) were wiped out, and not restored as part of the update process (there actually is a trick you must do in order to get that data properly backed up and restored). So, now your BB must be of an older vintage and does not have the ability to use the browser or other internet services without the active data plan...sadly, this is by design on those older models.

If you can, via PC/Desktop Software, obtain and load Opera onto your BB, you might be able to use WiFi to browse the internet...but likely not to install AppWorld as I believe that installation requires the use of the native browser...which you cannot use.

You also can try to see if your browser options have the HotSpot configuration available...if so, you might be able to get the native browser to work via WiFi (again, OS level and age of device dependent).

You also should be able to install AppWorld directly via the Desktop Software...as I recall, it's always included in the OS package, but for some reason must have been left out when you updated.

So, those are some things for you to think about and consider as you attempt to remedy this. Hopefully you will be successful.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello  sdqarne and thank you for your answer! 

I did load both  4.6.0.520 and v4.6.0.344, and i also installed them on the computer so to be able to find the .alx file of the appworld. Its not there... I guess its not installed in those os! The only way possible to get that .alx file is find an earlier os... which i was unable to find online.

So, thank you again for your explanation, you have made it clear for me.

I guess no apps for this phone. oh well...

the moral of this story: Dont fix whats not broken. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Actually, I think that there are no alx files to find...rather, AppWorld should be directly included within the OS package. When you run AppLoader, it should be one of the available line items to install/remove to/from the BB. I've never actually seen any source for AW alx files, but rather only always seen it within the OS package itself via AppLoader.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

There was a problem with software update for 8220 and users had to visit m.blackberry.com to obtain appworld (as i ve been reading lately). Anyway once you ve installed the os on the pc and run it, you can go to -> c/program files/common files/Research in Motion/shared/loader files, from where you can see and actually pick files to load to the DM so you can load them as apps to your phone. For 8220 I ve tried both available online versions of OS and found no appworld file... So, I really dont think its included in the package....

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

It may not be...such would be an anomaly, but certainly possible.

Good luck!