Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 8220 turns itself off

Absolutely unreliable. People sometimes have to depend on their phones and these 8220 are totally undependable. Maybe when someone has an emergency and needs to make a life saving call and his 8220 fails RIM will get dragged into court and then they might do something about these LEMON phones. They should do the honorable thing and recall these defective expensive phones.
New Contributor

I have this same problem. they have replaced my phone 5 times, the battery 3. We then replaced the SIM card. We have formated the memory card and this last time they replaced the charger with the phone. It shuts down with only the programs installed that come with the phone also. This last time they replaced the BB it lasted about a week before it happened again. I think this will be the last BB I ever get also because nobody seems to care.
Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

Basically same problem here.  The clock is still functional when the lid is closed, but when opened the screen is black and no keys are functional.  Then you have to take out and install battery, and let it load all info and go thru security check.  A real pain in the behind..

Message Edited by markst on 10-01-2009 10:31 AM
New Contributor

I agree with the input from writer who said 8220 flip is unreliable.  Approximately 40% of the time I pickup my BB flip to make a call or send an sms text, the device is unusable because it has a spinning clock on screen in some sort of reboot.  It also will occasionally begin a reboot during an ongoing phone call or interrupt a text writing session.  The red light to right of camera lens on phone just lit up and phone screen went black, then white; as I am typing this post.

I am not a power user, only use voice and texting.  A primary reason for getting the flip was that it was promoted as being more durable than a bar phone.  This phone is not reliable, which is foremost in importance for a communication tool.  I am fairly certain it is a design flaw as this is second 8220 handset.  T-Mo replaced first under warranty.

I would encourage BlackBerry to issue a recall and terminate sales of this phone until the problem is resolved.

Visitor

Let me tell you about my morning. Everything was going great until i tried calling my wife to wish her a good day. And it shot right to Voicemail... (I knew exactly what happened since she has the 8220, notorious for turning off overnight) Kept calling hoping she was awake, nothing. I know that her job is very grueling and she needs to be there on time everyday. This is about the 5th time her phone has done this. I don't want her to get reprimanded from her work, so i drive home, 30 minute drive. On my way i get pulled over from Highway Patrol, 16 over the limit ticket! I'm extremely frustrated at this point because this is all over a horrible phone. Finally get home, to wake my wife up so that she doesn't get in trouble from work.

This phone needs to be recalled or replaced with a working model. This is the 3rd replacement phone from T-Mobile because of this issue. I haven't been more unsatisfied with RIM. I spent this whole time talking up Blackberry to my wife telling her it's a great phone. (decent to great reviews on Cnet) And now that she finally has her Blackberry... we've had nothing but problems with it. If something isn't done soon. I will take this into legal hands, there are too many of us having issues with this phone. Something needs to be done.

Derek 

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl Flip 8220

Hello all! I'm new to the forum, and blackberrys in general, but I too have been having my pearl flip re boot itself randomly. I've gone through the tech support, and they've finally labbled my phone "defective", and will send me a refurb in a couple days. My question is this, they said they will check for water damage, and my phone has never contaced water apart from steam (had it ion the bathroom counter while taking a shower) and rain in my pocket once. Every water damage sticker on the phone is white, but the battery is a light pink.

I read another thread on the colour of the sticker out of the box, and the little pink X's are all visible, but the whole sticker has pink bleeding through it. It's heavier on one side than the other, and the in store agent said it might be condensation, but I don't want to get nailed for the cost of the phone should they deem this "water damage".

I was wondering what you guys think, cause I only have untill January before my next upgrade (I will be getting a curve 8900, should they allow me). If there's too much of a chance they'll trhink its water damage, i'll just live with the restarts for the rest of the year. I'm asking becasue im still new to all this, and I would like an opinion that isn't driven by commision!

Thanks for listening to my plight!

New Contributor

Both my daughter and I have a 8220, mine has been fine, my daughters on the other hand has not. Her initial phone started randomly shutting down and rebooting, I contacted my provider who had me update the OS. I did this to no avail, so my provider sent out a replacement phone (refurbished of course). Yet again the replacement phone did the same thing. Once again the OS was updated etc with no luck. Today I picked up the 2nd replacement and within hourse it was doing the same thing. I am completely frustrated. The warranty is with Blackberry not our carriers and I feel like nothing is being done to resolve this issue. We have paid for a phone that we can not utilize and are paying our carrier for a Blackberry plan that we are not able to use. My daughter has to constantly put her SIM card into my old phone. I would like to know what Blackberry is planning on doing about this issue. It appears there are LOTS of unhappy customers. Sending us out refurbished phones is clearly NOT solving the issue.

Both my wife and I have the same 8220 flip phones.  We have both had the same issue in the recent past with the phone randomly turning off by itself or a time being frozen on the front display and the inner display being black and unresponsive.  I have: updated the software repeatedly, replaced the battery, replaced the SIM card, reformatted the microSD card, replaced the phone itself 2 times with T-Mobile.  The problem has yet to be fixed and occurs randomly ever 1 to 2 weeks.  This is my first Blackberry and I have been disappointed to say the least.

New Contributor

After three faulty phones I was furious and told my carrier about all the info I have read on the internet regarding this phone. They apologized profusely and are now sending my daughter out a BB Curve as a replacement instead of a fourth 8220. I hope it is a much more reliable phone as my experience with the 8220 had me never wanting a BB again. So now my daughters phone is replaced but I worry that mine will eventually start acting up as well. Time will tell I suppose.

Steppish described exactly what my first blackberry 8220 was doing. Randomly shutting off during the day or night. Rogers replaced it after they tried to get me to do a software update, but realized it wasn't being recognized by desktop manager.

They replaced it with a refurbished unit that has now been freezing (the clock had stopped at 12:10 am, shown on the front face and on inside screen the Rogers logo was shown).  As a result, I was late for work. At 6:30 am the small analog clock showing it was loading/processing appeared and within 10 minutes it returned to normal function. This happened without any user intervention (reseating the battery etc.). I spoke to Rogers (my service provider) and they said if this continues after a software update they will replace the unit.