Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 8220 turns itself off

I have this same problem and have changed it out 5 times. The same thing happened again with the latest one. We have changed out the battery 2 times and the power adapter 1 time. We even changed out the SIM card for good measure but it did not help. One thing that you have to do when you get your new phone setup you have to call support and have the new phone registered to your account. That seems to cause the SIM error.

New Contributor

I have the exact same problem.  For those seeking details, I posted detailed information as a reply on the "The 8220 is garbage" discussion which I came across before this one.

New Contributor

The mods here deleted my original post.

Just for a quick update, it's been about 2 weeks since the two new 8220's arrived, and they are doing the randomly turning off thing worse than the previous phones.  It won't stay on at all now for more than a couple hours.  I have the latest blackberry OS, I've tried numerous batteries; nothing is working.  This phone really is worthless.  I'm switching from T-Mobile to Verizon (sad to leave a GSM carrier, as I'm in the air a lot) tonight just so I can get some functionality back in my phone.  T-mobile is so dumb for continuing to sell this thing.

Original post:

This is from another thread I posted to on crackberry.com, but I think RIM and RIM users should see this. Just fyi, my phone is: unlocked, with a 16gb card, about 10 apps installed, wifi connected almost all the time, Truphone used nearly every day. My GF's phone is pretty much stock out of the box.  Both are running 4.6.0.180
---------------------------
I would rate the phone (the ones I've come in contact with) as : Useless garbage.

My girlfriend and I both upgraded to 8220s on T-mobile back in June. At first, they seemed to be great. Wifi worked, the blackberry OS and interface is great, the compactness is cool.

But then, after about 3 weeks, the dreaded rebooting started. First it was my phone, then about 2 weeks later it started on hers. It would happen randomly. I could figure out no system for how/why it was doing it. Sometimes it was while trying to send an MMS. Sometimes it happened while I was on the phone. And other other times it would do it just while the phone was sitting on my coffee table. Very annoying. A full reboot every time with the security verification, etc.

Then, about 2 months ago the phones started just turning off. I would pull it out of my pocket, and it would be all black. I would look at it sitting on the coffee table and it was all black. And worst of all (I use my phone for an alarm, as most of us do) it would turn off in the middle of the night on my night stand and the alarm would not go off. On Friday BOTH of our unplugged-in, fully charged flips randomly turned off and we missed a 6:15am flight to mexico. It was unbelievably horrible luck, all thanks to the 8220. (edit: yes, I know that I shouldn't rely purely on my phone for my alarm, but still.....it sucked; we got a flight the next day)

With these turnoffs, you couldn't turn it back on with the power button; you had to pull the battery out, and then turn it on. Full reboot with all the bells and whistles. And then, you have no idea when it will turn off again. It could be 5 minutes, it could be 5 days. It's happening at least once every week now.

So, in short, the 8220 started out great, but then slowly turned into a useless, unreliable piece of junk; a piece of junk that became a costly liability. And, it happened to two phones at once, in the same house!

T-mobile is sending new phones, but I doubt it will solve anything (they refuse to send any other BB as a replacement). One of my buddies has the 8220 (he bought his in August), and the thing does the restarting baloney. Additionally, the t-mobile rep I talked to said that it was a widespread and known problem, and because of it, they don't offer the 8220 as an upgrade phone anymore, just as a first-time-contract-buyer phone. Wonderful; pawn off your garbage on new customers. Needless to say, numerous rabid emails have been sent to RIM and T-Mobile for putting me through this.

Maybe there was/is a bad batch of them out there and my girlfriend and I just got 2 of the bad 8220s, but whatever the cause, the engineering of the thing is obviously prone to being unreliable, and I would recommend that people looking for a blackberry go for something else.  It's unbelievably dishonest and borderline criminal that RIM and T-Mobile sell these chinese-knockoff-quality, flat-out-garbage phones.

Contributor

They are still sellng these as if nothing is wrong. 8220 owners past and present should start a class action suit against rim and the carriers and bill them for the tens of thousands of lost hours because of these Lemons. Think of it... all the calls to the carrier to hear their BS, time online looking for a solution, time loading operating systems, trying all the tricks and tips that do not work, waste timeand electricity charging phones that don't work! This of course doesn't include the money spent on the phone which in my case was $400. I am sure there are many people that could add costs to this.

Contributor

Let's try to figure this out.  I really like the form factor, but like the rest of you, I finally had to go to another phone (HTC Touch Pro - which I hate).  So, think of this, we all had this phone that worked perfectly for - what - a couple of months.  For me, I bought the phone (and in fact, moved from Sprint to T-Mobile) since my job now requires me to travel internationlly.  Bought in June and immediately left for China.  Worked great.  No problems.  When I get back I start to load apps (Tideberry, Weather Channel, Bloomberg,   Email client for work, and some others) and then at about 4 months, I start to get this random reboot.  It gets worse and worse until it does it all the time.  So, I get another phone.   Now, can we share experiences to see if we can figure out what is happening here?  Maybe it is a T-mobile to 8220 issue?  Maybe it is an app issue?  It seems to me that if it takes several months for this problem to surface, then that is somehow a key to the issue.  If it was a fundamental flaw, then why would this problem seem to occur at several months out instead of immediately?

Contributor

In my case the first phone was bad out of the box. Second replacement phone was spotty for 10 months then deemed defective so I always had to use my backup 5 year old Motorola Razr. Third replacement was bad out of the box. Had enough of his garbage and bought a Treo which is the best phone I have ever seen. There are people who have written on various sites that they have had 8 or more of these Flip Lemons.

Contributor

Watches -

I admit that the one I had that 'worked' was the third one from T-Mobile.  The first two were bombs right out of the box.  The third one worked flawlessly for several months.  I wonder if the push email from my corporate BES could have been the problem.  Seems that the constant reboot has to do with the phone attempting to update something and then falls into a loop.  My daughter now has my 8220.  T-Mobile wiped it clean of all apps and she does not have email so if it works for her without a problem then we can at least know the problem must be associated with apps or BES.

Contributor

No my phones had no extra apps added. They are defective leaving the factory. Period.

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8220 Flip
My Carrier: Rogers

Mine does the same **bleep** thing. Shuts off randomly, then takes its sweet time turning back on.

I asked what the problem was at Rogers - my first mistake. They told me to do a software update. I did that, and now it does it even more. My 8220 probably shuts itself off and on again 50 times a day. Doesnt matter what I'm doing. Could be sending a text, could be in the middle of a call. Can be just sitting on my desk doing nothing and I look over and it's doing that stupid white screen with the oh-so-informative clock showing. Was thinking on replacing the battery, but reading through this forum, looks like others have the same problem. Any solutions to this??? Or do we all just have really expensive paper-weights?

RIM must know whats going on... Has anyone found a solution from them???

Also, in the process of my cell constantly turning off and on, it drains the battery like you wouldnt beleive. Yesterday, I had a full charge in the morning. Said 99%... SIX AND A HALF hours later, it was at 1%. I've checked everything I can fin - it's not connecting to anything - I even clicked on "turn off all connections" - of course, when the **bleep** thing turns itself back on, ALL connections are turned back on though.

This is VERY frustrating RIM!!! How about doing something about this instead of just letting us sit here with expensive paper-weights. I'm tempted to go back to my old Nokia 3595 - at least it never shut itself off unless I left it turned on for 5 weeks.

Any ideas anybody??? Will try the business card between the battery and back cover today... Will keep checking forums as much as I can

New Contributor
My Device: 8110

Right now im getting really mas with RIM!!!!! I just got my phone its a pearl 8110 and its doing that reboor thing... I cant be more mad. Its my first BB and its not going well at all... I`m about to reload the OS and for what i`ve read thats not going to work... The problem is that i cant wait for them to give me a new cell, im leaving twon tomorrow and i need it...

THIS IS SO DISSAPOINTING...