Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

8310 New Contacts Making Existing Contacts Not Appear in List

I am having a problem with my 8310 that sounds the same as yours -- I have it synched to my outlook with enterprise server, and I now cannot add any new names without it clearing half the alphabet. It started a few months ago when I'd try to add a colleague and check off MM which is my category for work people. If I wrote the company name (which starts with M) in the persons field, then when I saved the contact, and viewed all the contacts in a list alphabetical, and hit "m" to see all the M's, it would only show that last person I put in - and no other names. I'd hit N, P, J, etc, and it would say "no entries found" even though there are 575 entries in my phone. I tried eliminating fields and discovered that If their name started with M, it would be a problem... sometimes it was the company name, so I'd leave that blank and it would solve the problem. HOWEVER, now it's at the point where I can't even add someone's name - no phone, no email, no company, no category - just their name - and they are listed before the A's in my contact list - and make it so half the alphabel brings up no contacts. This happens no matter if it was done on my computer screen or in the blackberry itself. I am extremely frustrated and have resorted to deleting all new contacts once I've added them because they cause this problem. I consider myself fairly computer/bb literate, and have been clearing all filters and categories. Nothing seems to solve it - and this happened in my older 8310 too (that one got exchanged due to an email problem). HELP :smileysad:
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8320, 8120

Re: 8310 New Contacts Making Existing Contacts Not Appear in List

[ Edited ]

Hi sdaltroy

Perhaps your address book database is corrupt. Try this -

• Turn off wireless synchronization of your contacts (address book, menu key, options)
  • In desktop manager, with BB plugged i, go to backup/restore, advanced. On the right side highlight address book and click clear on the bottom and ok thru the warning window. When this is done, shut down desktop manager, unplug BB and pull the battery out for 30 seconds and put it back in.
  • When the BB comes back up, open desktop manager, and set it up to do a one way sync of your contacts from Outlook to the BlackBerry.

Try it out for a few days, and if it works turn wireless sync on again.

Edit - on an after thought i think you should also clear the address book options database in step 2. 

Cheers!

Message Edited by Bolder on 07-16-2008 11:06 AM
New Contributor

It did not work.

I thought it might be the categories that is doing something, but even after erasing all categories, it still does it!

The strange part is that its related to my company name - when I put my company name into any contact as the company name, it has that effect - even if the Contact name starts with any letter, it will put it somewhere wierd like before the A's, after the Z's, or in between O and P if it starts with an M, for example.  It must have something to do with my company but can't figure it out.   

New Contributor

Its not even about the company name after all - one of my personal friends ended up in the mini-list that it thinks is my whole list!  I am really pissed off... Is there anything else I can do?
Trusted Contributor

Hi sdaltroy

I think you tried this, but lets be sure.  In your address book hit the menu key and select filters and uncheck everything.

Cheers

New Contributor

Yes I tried that... I am pretty blackberry literate and have been going thru this with the tech guy at my work too - he says its the BB device and NOT a problem with Outlook.  he said maybe its the battery and suggested I go to the AT&T store.  Ugh...
Trusted Contributor

Hi, maybe try doing an application load on the device -

How to perform a clean install of BlackBerry Device Software using Application Loader

I'm not realy sure how it could be a battery issue, maybe I am missing something tho.

Cheers!

Highlighted
New Contributor

I erased all categories on my BB device and now it is OK... However, I have categories in Outlook but not in the BB.  Any idea how to have the categories be automatically synched too?

Thanks