Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 8310
Accepted Solution

8310 curve with hairline cracks on the mold

My curve has cracks, located at the top left and right corners.  Does anybody else have this problem.  My phone is only about 55 days old.  And I have not dropped it. The phone looks like it has a cover covering the letters along with the outside shell.  If any of you had the problem are still have it.  Please let me know if you got a new mold or cover for the front.
Oz
oz
in god we trust
god bless the world
Contributor
My Device: 8320, 8700, 7105, 7100

Re: 8310 curve with hairline cracks on the mold

Was your phone "new from the store" when you received it. I ask because my company works heavily with these phones and I have NEVER seen this without the phone being dropped or "crushed". There is no replacement caseing as this voids any warranty if you can even find it. I do not understand the part of your post where you say (quote): "has a cover covering the letters along the out side of the shell". ??  Do you expose your phone to extreme temps such as leaving it in a hot car?
www.e46fanatics.com
Contributor

i'm a quadriplegic and no x-treme temps and i just noticed it.....thought it was molding lines but obviously not..no replacement ?? it looks just like a cover.  thanks  o z
oz
in god we trust
god bless the world
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I have 8320 and it did the same thing in the upper left and right corners. There is no damage to my phone and just started as a ripple in the paint is what it looked like.  I questioned this to my carrier and had no luck.  As time has gone on, the corners have cracked from the edge of the screen all the way out.  There are a couple of pieces missing as the phone has flexed from use.  Really the only fix is to purchase a new case and replace it.  I have not been that adventurous to tear my phone apart yet to do so. 

Contributor

My curve has done the same thing started like molds, and then cracked and it's gone from the screen all the way to the corner.  My carrier says that unless somebody brings one in, that is water damaged or broken out will not be able to replace the top cover.  If you have a phone number, or find a solution as to how to replace it.  Please let me know.
If I find out first, I will contact you.  Thanks for the backup.  Where were you able to purchase the case?
Oz
oz
in god we trust
god bless the world
New Contributor

I have seen the cases for sale on Ebay.  I have not bought one yet.  There are instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble your curve on YouTube. Now the thing to really remember in this is if you take your Berry apart, then you run the real risk of voiding your warranty.  That is part of the reason I have not done anything with mine yet. 

I have the exact problem -I started noticing this problem with my blackberry curve 8310 (gold) when it was only 15days old. I'm still trying to work through my carrier to see if I can get it replaced. My phone was never dropped, there are no scratches or dents whatsoever. I think that Blackberry needs to send out a recall on these phones. These cracks are obviously due to the material being under stress...

Highlighted
Contributor

i ordered a replacement off ebay and will attempt it [ don't believe u have 2 b a brain surgeon ] because 4 what we pay they shouldn't be cracking after 60 days!!! ill keep u posted how it turns out. carrier and bb said 2 bad so sad..

o z

oz
in god we trust
god bless the world
Contributor

i found the problem , the top of my phone never had a clean line but had a small gap on the very top cover therefor when any pressure from picking up or in pocket etc it started from lack of support .  when i replaced the new cover it was a no brainer what the prob was !!! i feel that bb after on 50 days or so could have made me happy . cost me $28 . im on my 3rd bb. u all know how much these cost $28 wouldn't have broke the bank seeing there cost prob is. i hope this helpssome of u... oh if urs has a gap and is not broken yet unscrew from back a little and align .

o z

oz
in god we trust
god bless the world
New Contributor

My BB has these cracks, they appeared small and only within a few days of opening out of the package. I have never dropped the phone, and the gap at the top has only gotten worse, which has caused the cracks to grow and actually the top right has completely chipped off. I am going to order a new faceplate and hope that this doesn't happen again. BB should really be making an effort to fix these defective units. To fix that gap, should I try loosening or tightening the screws in the back?